Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys
I am an Australian Permanent Resident and I was looking at the aged parents visa option for my mum and dad who are in India at the moment. My dad is 65 years old and my mum is 58. The thing is I came across this Non Contributory Aged parents visa (not the regular parents visa) on the immi website and apparently I can lodge an application for it while my dad's on shore. From my knowledge of visas applied for onshore, a bridging visa is automatically granted. Devious me started thinking if I can bring my dad on a tourist visa and apply for an APV while on shore, I wouldnt have to shell out $$$$$. And I'd assume he'd be eligible for medicare like I was when I was on a bridging visa right? Am I missing something here or is this a genuine loophole?

G

·
There is no loophole. For a start he would probably be given a no further stay on a tourist visa. Second the visa takes 15 years to be granted if for some reason he didn't get a no further stay, which us guaranteed for visiting parents. During that wait he gets no medicare, centrelink, social care and cant work.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh right. I didnt know about the medicare part. I guess it is risky getting aged people into australia without proper health cover. With regards to the No Further Stay condition imposed, my parents have visited australia at least 5 times now and never have they been subjected to a NFS. My mum came here recently for my university graduation (thats about the time when I got my PR) and she was given a 1 year visa straightaway. No other conditions except work limitation was imposed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was that when you were PR and on the new tourist visas?
Yeah that on the new tourist visa. But I didnt sponsor her though. My brother who is an australian citizen did. So if the same thing happened to dad, then I can just apply for APV on shore and that way he can stay with us for howsoever long that visa takes to process. Kinda like family support for us too :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts