Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the cost of renting an apartment in and near Sydney and it looks very reasonable. but then I realized it might be by week and not by month. When ads are placed on the net and newspaper what is customary, to post the rent per. month or per. week.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
It is customary to post rental prices per week. To get a monthly figure you divide the weekly figure by 7 and then multiply that result by 30.

i.e. 400/wk rent = 1714.29 monthly.

I was looking at the cost of renting an apartment in and near Sydney and it looks very reasonable. but then I realized it might be by week and not by month. When ads are placed on the net and newspaper what is customary, to post the rent per. month or per. week.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new here and hope it's OK to ask some personal questions. How long have you been in AU? Are you retired there? How difficult was it to get a visa to allow you to become a resident?

Oh and thanks for the rent info.

Steve

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No worries.

I've been here 6 yrs and since become a AU Citizen (I also keep my US Citizenship).

I came over on a work transfer at my request and my visa processing went very smoothly (both Temp and PR phases). I won't be retiring for several decades but am putting away funds into my Superannuation (similar to a 401k) so I'm prepared for it.

These days I would still get my visa, but it would take longer due to the various priority levels they assign based on skillset and job offer.

The process itself is straightforward, lots of paper and lots of waiting. It's the waiting that gets alot of people stressed, but eventually if everything is in order they do grant visas.

I'm new here and hope it's OK to ask some personal questions. How long have you been in AU? Are you retired there? How difficult was it to get a visa to allow you to become a resident?

Oh and thanks for the rent info.

Steve

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
1. Certain foods (i.e. Tex-Mex)
2. US Shopping - the pricing is much better there than here, I avoid AU shopping as much as possible and do my shopping in the US, thank goodness for mail order.

That's pretty much it, climate, lifestyle, vacation days (4 wks standard) make my life pretty low stress here. I also live walking distance to a beach so that's my backyard :)

What do you miss if anything from the US?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts