Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in New Zealand looking to undergo a one year Certificate in Carpentry course (Level 4), with the intention of being employed employed in New Zealand as an apprentice. What's the likelihood of me getting an apprenticeship as a Brit and the necessary visa required, as I am let to believe this isn't easy? Anyone with similar experiences of this or general ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would suggest your chance of getting a visa as an apprentice is slim to none unless you qualify under some sort of student visa (but I doubt it!).

Maybe in your 12 months you will meet and end up in a relationship with a kiwi which would start you down the path based on partnership...

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
I'm currently in New Zealand looking to undergo a one year Certificate in Carpentry course (Level 4), with the intention of being employed employed in New Zealand as an apprentice. What's the likelihood of me getting an apprenticeship as a Brit and the necessary visa required, as I am let to believe this isn't easy? Anyone with similar experiences of this or general ideas would be appreciated. Cheers, Matt
Hi,
How are you already in NZ - which visa ? and when does it expire ?

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My situation is complicated. I have been in New Zealand for approximately 3 years on a working holiday visa followed by a previous student visa and now currently on a Graduate Job Search visa until end of March. My course was Business Management but really struggling to get a job in that field due to lack of practical experience. Both my parents are residents in New Zealand as well, but pretty sure this has no bearing. I know there is a shortage of carpenters in New Zealand but looks like I would have to be qualified (i.e. do the apprenticeship in UK) prior to applying for a job in New Zealand?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
My situation is complicated. I have been in New Zealand for approximately 3 years on a working holiday visa followed by a previous student visa and now currently on a Graduate Job Search visa until end of March. My course was Business Management but really struggling to get a job in that field due to lack of practical experience. Both my parents are residents in New Zealand as well, but pretty sure this has no bearing. I know there is a shortage of carpenters in New Zealand but looks like I would have to be qualified (i.e. do the apprenticeship in UK) prior to applying for a job in New Zealand?
Have you looked at the family stream route due to your parents being residents.
Have a look at Dependent Child to see of you and they qualify.
Why didn't your parents add you to their residency visa application ?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
I pretty sure the family route doesn't apply anymore. Also I'm to old to be on their residency application.
Maybe. Depends how old you are ?
24 years and under you have a chance if you can show you rely on your parents for financial support etc etc.

If your parents are already residents here in NZ then you cannot be on their residency application as it will be all done and dusted.
I was asking why you weren't on the residency application previously although doesn't really matter now - missed opportunity!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh my folks weren't here when I was 24 unfortunately. I was just intrigued to why universities/colleges in New Zealand offer this course to international students if you are unable to progress to an apprenticeship? Maybe this qualification can be used in another country such as the U.K.?

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
It might be worth pointing out that my parents residency hasn't gone through yet they still have 1 year. Not sure this helps?
......so your parents aren't residents then ?

Are you sure you have your facts right ? Do you not mean citizenship ?
Don't understand them still having 1 year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apologies for that. They are here on an investor visa but are entitled to apply for residency in 1 year as they have been here for necessary time.

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Apologies for that. They are here on an investor visa but are entitled to apply for residency in 1 year as they have been here for necessary time.
Ah ok.
You can forget the family stream route then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts