Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the date approaches for my move to El Faro (near Fuengirola) on the Costa del Sol (23rd June), I have started having certain apprehensions. Some of these I have asked about, but not got clear answers on, and they bother me (could be just nervous excitement).

1. I am used to having Virgin Media superfast broadband in my home in the UK (Bishops Stortford), where my service currently runs at 160Mbps down and 12Mbps up (measured using speedtest.net). It appears that 'superfast' in the CdS is nearer 2Mbps. This is a big worry to me. Just what can I expect when I get the villa, and measure the internet speed (service over copper wire). Can I adjust to this big step backwards?

2. Local SIM cards. I cannot find a reasonable SIM card PAYG that doesn't expire after 30 days.

3. Tax. If I spend 50% of my time in Spain, and 50% in the UK, just where do I pay my tax on my private pension, and how is tax on a holiday home handled?

4. I was thinking of driving to Spain in my car and using it there. But this seems to create quite a lot of problems. Should I re-register it in Spain, or not? Get a Spanish driving license or not?

5. I cannot find a Spanish equivalent to the AA/RAC.

Am I starting to get paranoid? :confused:

Wibs

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
As the date approaches for my move to El Faro (near Fuengirola) on the Costa del Sol (23rd June), I have started having certain apprehensions. Some of these I have asked about, but not got clear answers on, and they bother me (could be just nervous excitement).

1. I am used to having Virgin Media superfast broadband in my home in the UK (Bishops Stortford), where my service currently runs at 160Mbps down and 12Mbps up (measured using speedtest.net). It appears that 'superfast' in the CdS is nearer 2Mbps. This is a big worry to me. Just what can I expect when I get the villa, and measure the internet speed (service over copper wire). Can I adjust to this big step backwards? Depending how far you are from the exchange, you might only get 512Kbs - try researching WiMax in your area.

2. Local SIM cards. I cannot find a reasonable SIM card PAYG that doesn't expire after 30 days. Why local? Just go to any Movistar shop and ask for just a SIM - they don't usually expire. Our children have had theirs for 9 years now.

3. Tax. If I spend 50% of my time in Spain, and 50% in the UK, just where do I pay my tax on my private pension, and how is tax on a holiday home handled? If your 'main' home is Spain, then you pay tax here from day 1

4. I was thinking of driving to Spain in my car and using it there. But this seems to create quite a lot of problems. Should I re-register it in Spain, or not? Get a Spanish driving license or not? If your main home is Spain, then you MUST register it here. I probably would anyway.

5. I cannot find a Spanish equivalent to the AA/RAC. Try racc.es

Am I starting to get paranoid? :confused: Yes.

Wibs
Some answers above.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Why do you need a Spanish equivalent of the AA/RAC?
Your insurance normally includes full breakdown cover.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts

1. I am used to having Virgin Media superfast broadband in my home in the UK (Bishops Stortford), where my service currently runs at 160Mbps down and 12Mbps up (measured using speedtest.net). It appears that 'superfast' in the CdS is nearer 2Mbps. This is a big worry to me. Just what can I expect when I get the villa, and measure the internet speed (service over copper wire). Can I adjust to this big step backwards?

2. Local SIM cards. I cannot find a reasonable SIM card PAYG that doesn't expire after 30 days.

3. Tax. If I spend 50% of my time in Spain, and 50% in the UK, just where do I pay my tax on my private pension, and how is tax on a holiday home handled?

4. I was thinking of driving to Spain in my car and using it there. But this seems to create quite a lot of problems. Should I re-register it in Spain, or not? Get a Spanish driving license or not?

5. I cannot find a Spanish equivalent to the AA/RAC.

Am I starting to get paranoid? :confused:

Wibs
Re broadband speed, where did you hear that it is poor? Is that what people who live in the area have told you? Just puzzled because I get 6 Mbps using ADSL in a little village out in the sticks and that's plenty fast enough for everything I need to do.

If you spend 49% of your time in Spain and 51% in the UK during any calendar year, you will be fiscally resident in the UK and pay tax on your pension there, where the personal allowance is much higher.

There is a non-resident tax for holiday homes but it is very small. You will of course also have to pay IBI, the equivalent of council tax.

The imputed income tax is payable by non-resident property owners who do not rent out their property and so do not pay rental income tax. The idea is that you could rent out your property if you wished.

Imputed income tax:

is paid on a second home that is not rented out
is declared in the non-resident annual tax declaration
is paid to the Spanish Tax Authority

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Why do you need a Spanish equivalent of the AA/RAC?
Your insurance normally includes full breakdown cover.
Be careful with this as many have a limited distance from home clause. For example, if you break down in Santander but live in Marbella, then they may not cover you - best to check (I was surprised so 'upped' the policy to include anywhere).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts