Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have been trying to do my best to assist everyone possible in whatever way I can. Now I have a doubt if someone can please assist. Thanks..

Is it ok to apply for jobs from India or is it better to physically be in Australia while applying? The reason I ask this is since I cannot move permanently to Australia until Feb next year. I have the the 189 grant. I don't want to end up applying, get calls (may be if I am lucky) and then not end up going there until Feb 2016.

This is my personal view. However someone advised me that it's ok to test the waters, apply and see what happens even if I can't join before next year. I was also told to have an Australian address and phone number on my resume even if I were applying from India. It's just that I don't want to spoil my name in the Australian market in case I get calls and am not able to physically attend interviews or join immediately. Please advice on what I should do - test the waters and apply from India itself or wait until I physically move to Australia or wait at least until one month before I physically move to Australia (sometime around January 2016)?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey mate..
It is good to try and apply. You never know, there is a chance to get hired from overseas even though it is very less. Infact very less.
However, when you come onshore, you might find better responses from recruiters. The next best thing to getting a job from India is to build a network with recruiters and scehduling meetings/interview before you reach.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its quite possible to get jobs from overseas. You can attend a few interviews just to boost your confidence. But whether you can take the job if offered earlier is something you need to think about.

·
Registered
965 Posts
My thought would be use this time to build your network which can be used before you come here

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yes .. Thanks
Well, you are not restricted to apply for jobs in australia while you are abroad. However, the chances of getting the interview call may be narrow, please don't be pessimistic. See, there are many factors that influence the employer to recruit a candidate without seeing him in person. For example, the scope for that role, the unavailability of right professional at the time of opening, etc. Generally, there are many people available locally for any jobs. As a result, it may be difficult to get recruited from overseas. But, few of my friends have got jobs through phone and skype interviews as well. Please try to decorate your linkedin profile and send invites to recruiters, professionals of same skills, company' hr managers on linkedin. Send an impressive introduction message to thank them for accepting your invite and this may help a lot when you land in aus. In addition, try to research on the possible companies that may recruit you, and the recruitment agencies specialized in your industry by SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site, Jobs in Sydney, Melbourne and Beyond | Adzuna, Job Search, Upload your Resume, Find employment - CareerOne, Job Search Australia | Jobsearch.com.au.

Finally, yet importantly, modify your resume and cover letter to australian standard and edit them before you apply for every job to make sure that you would be seemed to be the ideal candidate for that role. The thumb rule here is that the recruiters would like to see the star candidate who could fit exactly 100% to the description they would like. So, please focus much on this area.

Hope this helps.

With regards,
Sathiya

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, you are not restricted to apply for jobs in australia while you are abroad. However, the chances of getting the interview call may be narrow, please don't be pessimistic. See, there are many factors that influence the employer to recruit a candidate without seeing him in person. For example, the scope for that role, the unavailability of right professional at the time of opening, etc. Generally, there are many people available locally for any jobs. As a result, it may be difficult to get recruited from overseas. But, few of my friends have got jobs through phone and skype interviews as well. Please try to decorate your linkedin profile and send invites to recruiters, professionals of same skills, company' hr managers on linkedin. Send an impressive introduction message to thank them for accepting your invite and this may help a lot when you land in aus. In addition, try to research on the possible companies that may recruit you, and the recruitment agencies specialized in your industry by SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site, Jobs in Sydney, Melbourne and Beyond | Adzuna, Job Search, Upload your Resume, Find employment - CareerOne, Job Search Australia | Jobsearch.com.au. Finally, yet importantly, modify your resume and cover letter to australian standard and edit them before you apply for every job to make sure that you would be seemed to be the ideal candidate for that role. The thumb rule here is that the recruiters would like to see the star candidate who could fit exactly 100% to the description they would like. So, please focus much on this area. Hope this helps. With regards, Sathiya
Hi Sathiya

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

I am certainly ready that I won't get a job from India. I am not even most likely expecting one.

However my main question is that if I am certain to move to Australia not before Feb 2016 should I actually start applying for jobs from now itself or should I want until December or January and then start applying?

I agree with you and some other members who have suggested that I should start networking and building my contacts through LinkedIn etc until I actually go there. This I will start doing but what about applying for jobs?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi Sathiya

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

I am certainly ready that I won't get a job from India. I am not even most likely expecting one.

However my main question is that if I am certain to move to Australia not before Feb 2016 should I actually start applying for jobs from now itself or should I want until December or January and then start applying?

I agree with you and some other members who have suggested that I should start networking and building my contacts through LinkedIn etc until I actually go there. This I will start doing but what about applying for jobs?

Thanks...
You can start applying for jobs even from now. there are no issues for that. This way, you could do a good research on number of jobs advertised every month or to know job market, salary trends etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello

It would be better now just to concentrate on making contacts etc. You have to spend a lot of time on internet. I think it would be better to start applying for jobs December onwards only. If you apply now, employers would not be willing to give such a long time interval of time. Exceptions are just other thing. Meanwhile you just keep on doing research on various aspects of living a life there like accomodation, jobs, city etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts