Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what the best all around approach is to applying for a permanent residency visa from Canada. We plan to move to Australia in three years. We would like to get a head start and get my permanent residency from Canada. My wife is an Australian citizen and a permanent resident of Canada. We currently live in Canada together.

G

·
So you want a spouse visa in which case there is really no need to apply any more than a year before your intended move. Reason being is spouse visas will always be available and if you are in a genuine relationship and can prove it you will allways qualify.

You could start collecting information for it though. So many people struggle for evidence because they throw everything away!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you want a spouse visa in which case there is really no need to apply any more than a year before your intended move. Reason being is spouse visas will always be available and if you are in a genuine relationship and can prove it you will allways qualify.

You could start collecting information for it though. So many people struggle for evidence because they throw everything away!
Good advice, thanks! The timing is going to be everything since I've learned that there is a "must enter date" that I'd need to meet. Do you (or anyone else) know how the "must enter date" is set? I'm assuming it's set after my application is approved... is there a certain predictable timeline after that?

G

·
OK, so your visa will be granted about 7 months from the date you apply. Then you have 12 months from the date you did your medicals and police check to enter Australia to validate. That just needs to be a quick trip or could be the date you move.

So you apply January for instance, you are asked for medicals in late feb and you complete them in March. Your visa will be granted in aug and you will have until the following march to enter.
So if you complete medicals with your initial application that date to enter would be Jan, but if you leave it until asked by your case officer when you get one and they are not requested until June you would have until the following June.

Complicated enough for you ;)

Timing is everything but DIAC work to their own schedule. Right now in most places it is taking about 7 months to grant, though a year back it was much more and back in 2009 it was 4 months so it could change.

Your other option is to apply onshore after arriving on either a working holiday visa (if you qualify) or a tourist visa.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.