Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty straightforward question:

If my partner (German) enters Australia as a tourist and applies onshore for a partner visa, she will get a bridging visa for as long as the application is being processed (1-4 months). AFAIK a bridging visa extends the condition of her initial visa, so it will probably not allow her to work.

Here's the question:
Will she be able to apply for a working permit while on that bridging visa?

I see that there is a form (here) to apply for exactly that, but I'm also confused by the different types of bridging visas that seem to exist.

Anyone here with some deeper knowledge?

G

·
She will be allowed to apply for permission to work, which many do and are granted.

However its not something I would do personally. In applying for the partner visa you are saying you have the ability to support your partner as her sponsor for 2yrs so they do not need to be reliant on the state. And to get permission to work you need to claim hardship! The two dont really go hand in hand in my opinion!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for answering!

We are both IT professionals, and we do not expect to have any trouble finding work. But for some reasons I'm the one with the valid visa, and I would certainly be able to support her. So its not hardship, but rather a mental thing: She wants to work, simply because she likes what she does(*)

(*): (Well, sort of. And certainly not Monday mornings. And not with all types of customers ;-)

G

·
You can not apply for permission to work simply because you dont fancy sitting at home all day because you are used to working.
The provisions are for hardship which is what you have to prove in your application, no hardship no permission!

G

·
If she can find an employer to sponsor her she could go for the 457 but by the time she finds one and gets that visa her spouse visa may be almost ready!

G

·
I wouldn't believe that! People are waiting 12 months, I have been waiting for the second stage of my spouse visa for 8 months already.

How old is your partner? Would she qualify for a WHV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That link is to DIAC's standard service charter which is not updated regularly. If you call immigration and ask them what the processing time is you will most likely be told 12 months. The processing time is growing longer very quickly. When we first applied it was 6-8 months as per charter then it quickly grew to 9-12months within 1 month of applying and last time I checked it was 12 months or more in some cities. Not all cases take that long. Some are processed faster but you have to have your application decision ready and have substantial evidence.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some further investigations I found the original wording from DIAC:

Working permit can be granted if:

• you are in financial hardship; or
• you have been nominated or sponsored by an employer for
a substantive visa on skills grounds, and appear to meet the
requirements for the visa.

I agree that (1) is kind of contradicting to the fact that my GF has me as a sponsor. But (2) should mean that a possible employer - though he still needs to sponsor her - could expect her to start next week or so.

G

·
The provison to work for an employer is not for her benefit or hardship, it is for the employer who needs her to start work now not in 1-6 months when the visa is processed! So if she finds someone wanting & willing to take her on it works, people on WHV use it so they are not limited to 6 months with an employer.

But you could still try to get permisssion to work from the tourist visa. I believe people do it & no it in my opinion does kind of go against you saying you can support your spouse. But with a strong application that might not be a problem. For instance when I applied offshore we showed my work history too despite it not being asked for in the checklist as hubby had only just found a job & stated we supported each other, I was not simply 'kept' by my sponsor husband! You could show the same & that her working allows you to support each other!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.