Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was looking through the US federal jobs list on USAJOBS and I noticed there are some "normal" job postings abroad, like library assistant and secretary positions, stuff that I have some experience in. A lot of them say you have to live in the commuting area or be a federal employee or something. If I just went to the commuting area of a job as a tourist, could that count enough as "living in the commuting area" and I could then apply for the job? Or could I work as a federal employee as like a secretary or library person in the US for a while and then apply for a job abroad? Does anyone have experience with this?

Hah, this is such a longshot. OH I just chose Australia as my "expat to" place cuz I love Australia and have looked into immigrating there. I know their really aren't any US govt jobs in Australia. I'm really interested in living in Europe too, or something.

G

·
You would normally have to live there ie have a visa that allows you to live & work there or be a citizen who doesn't need one.

·
Administrator
51,624 Posts
Except at the level of diplomatic jobs, where the government pays for your relocation and you are eligible for a diplomatic visa, the government generally looks for local citizens and residents for ordinary staffing positions. You would have to be legally resident in the area to be considered for a government job.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am looking for informarion regarding us government jobs in Australia and found this thread.
I wonder if any of you had the opportunity of doing this. Is there a site or way to fo this? Understsnd jobs of this type may not be abundant but any feedback would help. This is for my partner who will become resident in the followimg months and would like to tryna US gov job in Oz

Thanks

G

·
What type of government job? Most government jobs require you to be a citizen, limited jobs at least require you to have PR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What type of government job? Most government jobs require you to be a citizen, limited jobs at least require you to have PR.
Thanks for replying Shel, she is American citizen and expect to be Australian resident by the end of the year. She is a nurse so maybe health services or jobs alike may be an option?

G

·
Nursing is different and not exactly classed as a government job as the state health dept is the employer not central government.

G

·
Hi, she is looking for US gov jobs in Australia. Do you need Oz citizenship for that too?
What US Government jobs do you think you will find in Australia? Bar the consulate where yes you need to be an Australian Citizen you wont find much else.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
There are some U.S. national security-related jobs in Australia at Pine Gap, in particular. That's a matter of public knowledge.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
And they would hire a nurse to do that?
Sure. The staff sometimes need medical care, and Pine Gap is in a remote area (by design). It's highly likely there would be a medical facility there with at least a nurse practitioner.

I am not suggesting there are huge numbers of nursing jobs with the U.S. government in Australia, but the number would almost certainly be something above zero.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Just FYI, the NSA has an opening for a nurse practitioner posted on their Web site as I write this, job ID #1034423. The location is listed as Fort Meade, Maryland, but who knows where the posting actually is.

Pine Gap probably has both CIA and NSA employees, but that's just a guess.

On edit: I also see the U.S. State Department has opening for nurses, including several here. It's unclear whether any are in Australia specifically, but at least they do hire nurse practitioners outside the U.S. to serve their overseas workforce.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The great thing about the NSA position is it is so easy to apply for. Just type "I'm interested in this position" anywhere on the Internet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts