Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! got married to my American wife last week, and we will be applying for a UK spouse visa. Quick question, we will be obviously sending off her passport with her application, but it has her maiden name on still. Is it best to get new passport with her married name on first, or send off her current passport?

much thanks!

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
Hi all!! got married to my American wife last week, and we will be applying for a UK spouse visa. Quick question, we will be obviously sending off her passport with her application, but it has her maiden name on still. Is it best to get new passport with her married name on first, or send off her current passport?
Current passport in maiden name is fine. What I suggest you do is to get a new passport in married name during the two-year probationary period and then submit that for settlement (indefinte leave to remain). In the meantime, carry both passports for international travel.
You can, if you like, get a new passport in married name before applying for spouse visa, but expect a processing time of several weeks for a new passport.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Current passport in maiden name is fine. What I suggest you do is to get a new passport in married name during the two-year probationary period and then submit that for settlement (indefinte leave to remain). In the meantime, carry both passports for international travel.
You can, if you like, get a new passport in married name before applying for spouse visa, but expect a processing time of several weeks for a new passport.
Thanks! So marriage licence has arrived. We haven't done anything else yet, where would people recommend we go from here?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi forum!

Apologies for probably doing this the wrong-way-round (I am the UK husband of a US resident) but we are about to apply for a Spousal Visa and need a few pointers (surprise surprise)...

For example, it might seem an obviously daft question, but does my wife have to do the applying from the US or can I do a fair bit of it here, since it'll end up in the UK anyway?

As I'm on a fairly low wage with 2 under-18s, we're also concerned about how much and what income the UKBA will accept, given that I have maintenance contribution from my ex, Work&Child Tax Credits which make up the end-of-day total. My fall-back is a 3rd party sponsor (my father).
Also, my wife was recently "let go" by her employer and is concerned that this might be seen in the negative, so with marketing/events co-ordination in her resume, shouldn't her employment prospects counter that? (In fact, the job set-back was what decided which direction we would take!)

All advice gratefully accepted.

·
Super Moderator
18,093 Posts
Where is your wife now? Is she in the UK on a Fiancé visa? If so then she applies for further leave to remain here in the UK. If you got married in the US, then she has to apply for a spousal visa in the US which is her normal place of residence.

It's your income that matters unless your wife has a confirmed job offer in the UK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife is in Minnesota. We got married in the US last June.
I was there last March, May/June, October and this month. She was over here in Nov and again at Xmas. Those gaps are killers.

Where is your wife now? Is she in the UK on a Fiancé visa? If so then she applies for further leave to remain here in the UK. If you got married in the US, then she has to apply for a spousal visa in the US which is her normal place of residence.

It's your income that matters unless your wife has a confirmed job offer in the UK.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi forum!

Apologies for probably doing this the wrong-way-round (I am the UK husband of a US resident) but we are about to apply for a Spousal Visa and need a few pointers (surprise surprise)...

For example, it might seem an obviously daft question, but does my wife have to do the applying from the US or can I do a fair bit of it here, since it'll end up in the UK anyway?

As I'm on a fairly low wage with 2 under-18s, we're also concerned about how much and what income the UKBA will accept, given that I have maintenance contribution from my ex, Work&Child Tax Credits which make up the end-of-day total. My fall-back is a 3rd party sponsor (my father).
Also, my wife was recently "let go" by her employer and is concerned that this might be seen in the negative, so with marketing/events co-ordination in her resume, shouldn't her employment prospects counter that? (In fact, the job set-back was what decided which direction we would take!)

All advice gratefully accepted.
The online application, payment of fees, setting of biometric appointment, and then the sending off of all the paperwork must be done from the US by your wife.

Her recent job setback shouldn't be a problem at all. I've read posts here from several applicants who were worried that joblessness would be and were relieved to find that wasn't the case.

The maintenance income requirements for couples with dependent children is beyond me, I'm sure one of the mods will be along soon to share their considerable knowledge on that one for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which visa do I actually apply for? is this correct

"This online form is based on the paper document VAF4A Settlement. You should only use this online form if you are coming to the UK to settle.
Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07)"

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Which visa do I actually apply for? is this correct

"This online form is based on the paper document VAF4A Settlement. You should only use this online form if you are coming to the UK to settle.
Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07)"
VAF4A-online application form for spouse applying from outside UK:

The VAF4A is the form your wife fills out online-she fills it out and when she reaches the end and hits submit. At that point she pays the fees and makes an appointment for the biometrics taking. Then she prints the application form, and after attending the biometrics appointment, mails the form and all the supporting documents to the New York consulate address for processing.

SUO7-printed out from UKBA site, filled in by UK citizen who is spouse and sponsor; must be signed (NOT e-sig, must be 'real') and attached to print-out of VAF4A as part of the supporting documents:

It's better that you fill out the sponsor form before she begins the application process, frankly. We didn't know about it until we'd already started the process and it was a very nervous time waiting for that to arrive from my husband in the UK!

I'm relating our experience as we moved through the application process over a year ago. Luckily if I've missed something or am (gasp) wrong, someone will be along to correct me very soon:D

·
Registered
39,153 Posts

The VAF4A is the form your wife fills out online-she fills it out and when she reaches the end and hits submit. At that point she pays the fees and makes an appointment for the biometrics taking. Then she prints the application form, and after attending the biometrics appointment, mails the form and all the supporting documents to the New York consulate address for processing.

SUO7-printed out from UKBA site, filled in by UK citizen who is spouse and sponsor; must be signed (NOT e-sig, must be 'real') and attached to print-out of VAF4A as part of the supporting documents:

It's better that you fill out the sponsor form before she begins the application process, frankly. We didn't know about it until we'd already started the process and it was a very nervous time waiting for that to arrive from my husband in the UK!

I'm relating our experience as we moved through the application process over a year ago. Luckily if I've missed something or am (gasp) wrong, someone will be along to correct me very soon.
SU07 is only completed, usually optionally, by external sponsors, such as family or relatives of UK sponsor who are offering to support financially. It isn't filled by UK sponsor (partner/spouse), as they complete the sponsor's section of the application form VAF4A. Completing SU07 by UK sponsor won't invalidate the application - it's just that it will be ignored, as it's duplicating efforts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that!

I'm keen to know if anyone has an opinion on using paid help to facilitate the process - How many used an agency to help the application or how many went it alone?

The online application, payment of fees, setting of biometric appointment, and then the sending off of all the paperwork must be done from the US by your wife.

Her recent job setback shouldn't be a problem at all. I've read posts here from several applicants who were worried that joblessness would be and were relieved to find that wasn't the case.

The maintenance income requirements for couples with dependent children is beyond me, I'm sure one of the mods will be along soon to share their considerable knowledge on that one for you.

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
Thanks for that!

I'm keen to know if anyone has an opinion on using paid help to facilitate the process - How many used an agency to help the application or how many went it alone?
Unless you have most unusual situation, such as serious criminal conviction or history of immigration offences, you should be able to do your application without any external paid help. If stuck, just ask here for free and usually reliable advice!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope so, Joppa! I'm just concerned about what is acceptable income, since mine is made up of regular pay, working tax credits, child maintenence etc..

I think the official (lack of) information has bred an industry based on doubt and uncertainty... which for some reason makes me think of the philosophers in Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy.. plus Ms May's rumoured plans to import only the wealthy from June frankly scares me.

Unless you have most unusual situation, such as serious criminal conviction or history of immigration offences, you should be able to do your application without any external paid help. If stuck, just ask here for free and usually reliable advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spousal Visa for the UK

I am a South African citizen and I got married to a UK National in August 2011 (in South Africa). We then moved to Taiwan, where we live together. Unfortunately, he is not on a spousal visa in Taiwan. He opted to do visa runs every three months.

This is our situation:

1) We got married in South Africa and I work in Taiwan, I have read that I am eligible to apply in Taiwan for my UK spousal visa. Do you think I should go back to South Africa to apply from my country of origin?

2) My husband will return to the UK on 04/29 to look for an apartment and find a job. He is employable but has been self-employed for the past 9 months. What supporting documents do we need to prove that we won't be living off the dole?

3) I am employable, as I'm a qualified teacher. Do I have to prove that I will be able to get a job on arrival in the UK?

4) Does anyone know how long the visa process will take as my Taiwanese visa ends 08/31.

Please help any advice will help at this stage.

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
Spousal Visa for the UK

I am a South African citizen and I got married to a UK National in August 2011 (in South Africa). We then moved to Taiwan, where we live together. Unfortunately, he is not on a spousal visa in Taiwan. He opted to do visa runs every three months.

This is our situation:

1) We got married in South Africa and I work in Taiwan, I have read that I am eligible to apply in Taiwan for my UK spousal visa. Do you think I should go back to South Africa to apply from my country of origin?
If you are on a long-term visa (not 'visa runs'), then you should be able to apply to UKBA in Taiwan.

2) My husband will return to the UK on 04/29 to look for an apartment and find a job. He is employable but has been self-employed for the past 9 months. What supporting documents do we need to prove that we won't be living off the dole?
Details of his current employment/self-employment and income details (wage slips, bank statement), plus his CV showing job prospect in UK. Some details of vacancies he may be qualified to apply for may be helpful, with salary offered.

3) I am employable, as I'm a qualified teacher. Do I have to prove that I will be able to get a job on arrival in the UK?
You can only work as unqualified teacher in state schools, as your teaching qualification isn't recognised in UK. You can, however, work in private schools, as well in support capacity, as private tutors etc. Just do the same: enclose your CV and sample teaching vacancy at a private school. Many are advertised on The TES - Education Jobs, Teaching Resources, Magazine & Forums under 'Jobs'.

4) Does anyone know how long the visa process will take as my Taiwanese visa ends 08/31.
Latest processing time in Taiwan for settlement visa is between 15 to 40 working days (3 to 8 weeks), so you should be ok but I suggest you apply without delay, as visa rules are set to change in June and it may be more difficult to get your visa then.
They are introducing a priority service for extra fee from 1st May. Fee is 4000 TWD and processing time is reduced to mere 3-4 days.
See further details of how to apply for visa in Taiwan in UK Border Agency | UK Border Agency in Taiwan English

·
Registered
27 Posts
As it transpires, my wife had problems with her drivers license in the past.
She was stopped once and didn't have her docs with her (in the UK, that's no biggie, since you then get 7 days to produce them at a police station, if memory serves) but in the US, it's an offence. Then for some reason I can't recall, but probably due to a change of address causing mail delivery issues, the authorities pulled her license and she wasn't aware so then was hit with a driving-without-insurance. She currently has to pay a penalty to get her license reinstated.
As a result of that, we're worrying that UKBA will not look kindly on these transgressions.
Any experience of how the UKBA regard such?

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
As it transpires, my wife had problems with her drivers license in the past.
She was stopped once and didn't have her docs with her (in the UK, that's no biggie, since you then get 7 days to produce them at a police station, if memory serves) but in the US, it's an offence. Then for some reason I can't recall, but probably due to a change of address causing mail delivery issues, the authorities pulled her license and she wasn't aware so then was hit with a driving-without-insurance. She currently has to pay a penalty to get her license reinstated.
As a result of that, we're worrying that UKBA will not look kindly on these transgressions.
Any experience of how the UKBA regard such?
Impossible to be certain. You just have to declare it in section 6.9 of VAF4A application form (or online version of it) and hope for the best. What I suggest your wife should do is to supply a covering letter describing the circumstances of her offence, how it happened, that she takes full responsibility, that there was no criminal intent, she has learnt from it and wants to move on. I suggest she pays the penalty to get her license back to bring closure to the whole incidence. Provided she is honest and is seen to be acting with integrity, I'd have thought it shouldn't affect her application, but I don't make the decision. Criminal conviction will be taken more seriously when it comes to apply for settlement - indefinite leave to remain in two years. A recent history of drink-drive (DUI) can disqualify.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'm relating our experience as we moved through the application process over a year ago. Luckily if I've missed something or am (gasp) wrong, someone will be along to correct me very soon:D
Ah, so please can you confirm, not only does my wife have to fill out her form, but I need to fill out one myself?? I didnt know that! didnt see any where on site! better find that and do that now, as already filled out her form!

Next question, does my birth certificate need to be sent off? or can a copy of it be sent? also, I know she has to send her passport, does she need to send some sort of copy off, else they will keepher passport?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ah, so please can you confirm, not only does my wife have to fill out her form, but I need to fill out one myself?? I didnt know that! didnt see any where on site! better find that and do that now, as already filled out her form!

Next question, does my birth certificate need to be sent off? or can a copy of it be sent? also, I know she has to send her passport, does she need to send some sort of copy off, else they will keepher passport?
Scroll back up to where I posted that, because Joppa posted in that I was incorrect on that sponsor statement, and you don't need it.

My husband and I misunderstood the instructions and thought that we did need to send it. So we sent it with the application and supporting documents and the UKBA did keep that (original and copy) but because of what Joppa said, lol, we now think the UKBA ignored it.

The reason we sent my husband's birth certificate was that he hasn't got a passport for us to send a copy of the bio page proving him a UKC; your wife (if I'm understanding correctly to be the visa applicant) needs to send her passport AND a photo copy of the bio pages.

They will put the visa sticker in her passport and return it to her, they will keep the copy for their records.

Confused yet? :lol:

When in doubt, ALWAYS go with what Joppa or another mod has posted-that's why they are mods:)

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.