Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am a British national living in the US. My wife is American and we're in the process of filing for her spouse visa so we can move to the UK. We meet all the criteria so I'm sure we'll be fine as long as we cross every T and dot every I, but I had a question about the marriage certificate and wondered if anyone could advise?

Is the standard marriage certificate (from the Commonwealth of Virginia Marriage Register (we live in VA)) that we applied for when we got married acceptable, or does it need to be a longer version? There are several different versions, one of which is triple sealed (or something like that) and needs to be sent away to Richmond for authentication.

The longer one is signed by the judge as well as the clerk. I've heard no mention that this is the one we need to include and suspect the standard one will be acceptable, but if anyone knows for sure that would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hi Monty79

I can't give you the correct answer because it's not something I know (and someone from the US might arrive here any second and be able to say whether the short version is fine), but because visas are a curse of traps to apply for, I would opt for the best version available simply to cover all bases - even if that means postponing the application for a few weeks - reason being that not only are visas stupid-money to apply for (and it's non-refundable if your application is failed), it's no fun having a failed application in your visa history.

As said, the version you have might be fine and dandy, but if no-one else can answer, maybe look into obtaining the failsafe version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Monty79

I can't give you the correct answer because it's not something I know (and someone from the US might arrive here any second and be able to say whether the short version is fine), but because visas are a curse of traps to apply for, I would opt for the best version available simply to cover all bases - even if that means postponing the application for a few weeks - reason being that not only are visas stupid-money to apply for (and it's non-refundable if your application is failed), it's no fun having a failed application in your visa history.

As said, the version you have might be fine and dandy, but if no-one else can answer, maybe look into obtaining the failsafe version.
Hi 2farapart,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I think you're absolutely right about covering all bases and that's definitely what I ought to do. I may also call the UK Border Agency and see if they can advise. But from my previous experience on the phone to them they don't seem to know too much about the UK visa process! Maybe it was just the person I spoke to...

I actually have the longer version already, signed by the judge, but to get it "triple sealed" I need to send it to Richmond, VA. It takes about a week, which is a nuisance, but definitely not long enough to risk the application failing!

I didn't think it could get any harder than the US green card process I had to go through. That one was intimidating. The UK one is just downright confusing! Thanks again for your help and I'll definitely take your advice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi everyone! I am a British national living in the US. My wife is American and we're in the process of filing for her spouse visa so we can move to the UK. We meet all the criteria so I'm sure we'll be fine as long as we cross every T and dot every I, but I had a question about the marriage certificate and wondered if anyone could advise?

Is the standard marriage certificate (from the Commonwealth of Virginia Marriage Register (we live in VA)) that we applied for when we got married acceptable, or does it need to be a longer version? There are several different versions, one of which is triple sealed (or something like that) and needs to be sent away to Richmond for authentication.

The longer one is signed by the judge as well as the clerk. I've heard no mention that this is the one we need to include and suspect the standard one will be acceptable, but if anyone knows for sure that would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!
I know doing mine, I had to use the "certified" version. So I had to request one from my county office for official certified copy. I don't think you need a longer version, but I do believe you need a certified copy from your clerk's office.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know doing mine, I had to use the "certified" version. So I had to request one from my county office for official certified copy. I don't think you need a longer version, but I do believe you need a certified copy from your clerk's office.
Great stuff, thanks lnxjenn. That's good to know and I figured that original certified copy would be fine but just wanted to be sure. My wife's biometrics appointment is on Monday and then we have a couple of weeks to submit the petition, so I will probably get the longer one triple sealed anyway, but hopefully it won't be needed.

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.