Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SS application pending for Victoria... but after doing a lot more research, we are more interested in Perth. Can't apply yet to Perth because I don't have enough points (WA requires that you have at least 60 points before you apply for SS). But when I DO have enough points (after I get straight-8s in IELTS), is it possible to apply? Because I've just been out to the WA site, and if you say "YES" to the question "Have you applied or been approved for a sponsorship in another state", it won't let you go any further (says you aren't eligible because you have not demonstrated that you are committed to WA).

Ack!

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a SS application pending for Victoria... but after doing a lot more research, we are more interested in Perth. Can't apply yet to Perth because I don't have enough points (WA requires that you have at least 60 points before you apply for SS). But when I DO have enough points (after I get straight-8s in IELTS), is it possible to apply? Because I've just been out to the WA site, and if you say "YES" to the question "Have you applied or been approved for a sponsorship in another state", it won't let you go any further (says you aren't eligible because you have not demonstrated that you are committed to WA).

Ack!

Side note - our first choice was Queensland but they removed my occupation at the end of January, so our immigration agent recommended we apply to Victoria as they don't require that you have already met the points for DIAC. Didn't want anyone to think we are flippant about sponsorship. Right after I posted the above, got the Victoria SS approval via email, so we're thrilled with that, and honored. Now for the 8s in the IELTS, the Writing test is the bane of my existence!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Side note - our first choice was Queensland but they removed my occupation at the end of January, so our immigration agent recommended we apply to Victoria as they don't require that you have already met the points for DIAC. Didn't want anyone to think we are flippant about sponsorship. Right after I posted the above, got the Victoria SS approval via email, so we're thrilled with that, and honored. Now for the 8s in the IELTS, the Writing test is the bane of my existence!

Hey, Mbc71 - congratulations on your Vic sponsorship! I really do hope that you beat the IELTS come this Saturday so that you can be in the waiting game (albeit for you not too long) with us ! :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Congratulations on your sponsorship!

So you need to get an 8s in your IELTS to satisfy the points for the visa through DIAC? Is the IELTS like the english portion that we may have taken in standardized tests back in the US such as the ACT and SAT? I didn't have to take it. But I see now that it can definitely add points even though it's not required for several countries.

Good luck on your test!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jb12 said:
Congratulations on your sponsorship!

So you need to get an 8s in your IELTS to satisfy the points for the visa through DIAC? Is the IELTS like the english portion that we may have taken in standardized tests back in the US such as the ACT and SAT? I didn't have to take it. But I see now that it can definitely add points even though it's not required for several countries.

Good luck on your test!
I just need to take it and score 8s or above in all 4 modules because it will give me 20 pts, which I need in order to reach 60 pts. Then SS will give me the 5 to get to 65 total.

The test isn't like the SAT, that I remember. IELTS has 4 modules - Listening, Reading, Written, and Spoken. From what I have seen on these boards, the Reading and Written tests are the ones that throw most people. For Written, there are two tasks, the second one is an essay. And they look for a specific essay structure, etc. The Written and Spoken tests are very subjective (so you are at the mercy of the one person who is scoring it).

I requested a re-score on my Written from the first test I took, haven't gotten the results yet. Hopefully they will give me an extra 0.5 pts! In the meantime, I sat the test again, and expect my results back tomorrow. So hopefully... I got all 8s or above. This is the only thing standing in between me and filing for the 176 at this point!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.