Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering whether anybody could help me. Myself and my husband are applying for PR (we have had our skills assessed and have lodged an EOI under both 189 and 190 NSW last week).

We were aiming to be in Sydney by November, and I know from reading through this forum that there's no guarantee we'll have our visa by then! But I am still young enough to get a working holiday visa, and was thinking about going over on one of those so I could be there and working while waiting for a PR grant.

Has anybody here done this / do you know if its possible? Would I have to notify DIBP of this fact so they'd know I was onshore if and when I get the PR visa grant, even though I applied offshore? What if I apply for the working holiday visa, but then end up getting granted the 189/190 before we go - would the PR visa automatically supersede the WHV, and be the one which is activated when we land?

Would appreciate any help and guidance!

Thanks
K

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Yes, sure is possible to apply for any other visa and travel to Australia while your PR visa application is in process. You should inform them (online in your immiAccount visa application) about your travel and being onshore so that your PR visa is granted without any 'must enter before' condition. When your PR is granted after the WHV, it will take effect superseding the WHV. But if your PR is granted before the WHV, act immediately and withdraw the WHV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you KeeDa. So is there a form on my immiaccount that I would need to fill in? Or do I just send them an email? And how would I cancel the WHV if the PR visa comes through before we go?

I assume this would also apply for my husband if he goes over on a tourist visa at the same time (he is too old to apply for a WHV)? We are aware he would not be able to work on this visa, but hoping we could get by on just my wage until the PR visas come through.

Thanks again,
K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.