Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I am new to this forum and really confused before writing this post. Please help!!!

First about myself - So, I am an IT professional and lived in Australia for about two years (2013 to 2015) on 457-UC. While I was there, I took a credit card loan which was approved as I was considered an Australian resident. I started paying agreed EMIs which I am still paying. NO defaults or non-payments till date.

I came back to my country two months back and changed my job hence my previous employer cancelled my 457-UC. Now I plan to apply for the PR. Note that I am still paying the EMIs for that loan regularly.

My query is - Shall I first close that loan before I apply for PR? Will it badly affect my chances of getting PR approved as somewhere on immi website I read that "PR Visa applicant should not hold any debt to Australian Government"? Will it be considered illegal by immigration department that I am not staying in Australia but still continue to have a loan from an Australian institue based on which they may reject my PR application?

Please suggest! Can I atleast get ACS Skill assessment done before I worry about closing the loan?

Many thanks,
Ant

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Never heard of this, but still, they have said "Australian Government" and you probably owe it to some private lender/ credit-card company. It seems you are just fine.

Yes, start off with your ACS and IELTS/ PTE. Then lodge the EOI and depending on your points and occupation, especially if IT related, then you might have to wait quite some time before you are invited to apply for the visa. So, I would say it still is a long way to reach the visa stage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keeda for such a quick response on this. Yes, it is from a private lender, a private bank to be precise.I only wanted to know , if during ACS assessment these kind of Finance related background verification are also done or not, which I think you have answered.So as you have suggested I will get started with ACS and PTE and will plan to close off the loan before I apply for EOI.

Does it sound good?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Yes, sounds all good.

ACS never conducts any personal/ financial verifications. It cares only about your qualifications and skilled employment.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The only issue would be outstanding debts to the Australian Government, such as unpaid taxes, etc. Private consumer debt is irrelevant for visa purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts