Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I want to know if I can apply for permenant residency on student visa well before completing my studies. i mean can i apply for PR in my 1 semster of my studies.

Thanks
Muhammad Ali

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If you are looking at the path as a new Australian Graduate, then No you can't. You have to actually have the degree to apply for this path to PR.

Hi all,

I want to know if I can apply for permenant residency on student visa well before completing my studies. i mean can i apply for PR in my 1 semster of my studies.

Thanks
Muhammad Ali

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are looking at the path as a new Australian Graduate, then No you can't. You have to actually have the degree to apply for this path to PR.

hi amaslam,

thanks for your quick reply,

what if i have my skill assessment done and have state sponsorship. Applying form australia will process my application faster.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I still think you need a degree to do those things as well.

Bottom line is you're still a student until you have a degree. I think both your skill assessment and the SS will ask for proof of a degree.

hi amaslam,

what if i have my skill assessment done and have state sponsorship. Applying form australia will process my application faster.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I thought you can apply already after two years of full-time studies. So isn't that like applying in your 2nd year?

In any case you should read up DIAC's website.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The wording on the Immi website says completion of course. To me it wouldn't make sense if you applied before your course ended as you could have the situation where you apply and don't complete, so don't have a degree, I can't see how an assessing agency or Immi would want that situation.

I thought you can apply already after two years of full-time studies. So isn't that like applying in your 2nd year?

In any case you should read up DIAC's website.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still think you need a degree to do those things as well.

Bottom line is you're still a student until you have a degree. I think both your skill assessment and the SS will ask for proof of a degree.
hi amaslam,

yes i do have a 4 yaears bachelors degree with 5 years of exp, i am comming for Masters degree. so was just wondering to apply for PR before my master's finishes.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hi amaslam,

yes i do have a 4 yaears bachelors degree with 5 years of exp, i am comming for Masters degree. so was just wondering to apply for PR before my master's finishes.
was the bachelors degree done in AU or your home country? Canyou not just apply for PR on your bachelor degree? is there a reason you need to move to AU on a student visa first?

Also.. hold of on your plans until Monday at least... there is going to be some new changes announced, and may have a significant effect on student visa holders.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was the bachelors degree done in AU or your home country? Canyou not just apply for PR on your bachelor degree? is there a reason you need to move to AU on a student visa first?

Also.. hold of on your plans until Monday at least... there is going to be some new changes announced, and may have a significant effect on student visa holders.
My bachelors degree is from my home country. I can apply on bachelors but the process time will be around 2 years. I want to do a masters degree from AUS and i cant afford 2 years of fees. so thought to apply for PR when i am in AUS and the process time for PR application from AUS is 6 months. so then i will be eligable for home fees for the rest of my course and i can then study part time.
If i applied for PR from my home country then i have to wait for 2 years for the process to be finalised.

Are there new rules comming for student visa application ?

·
Registered
619 Posts
My bachelors degree is from my home country. I can apply on bachelors but the process time will be around 2 years. I want to do a masters degree from AUS and i cant afford 2 years of fees. so thought to apply for PR when i am in AUS and the process time for PR application from AUS is 6 months. so then i will be eligable for home fees for the rest of my course and i can then study part time.
If i applied for PR from my home country then i have to wait for 2 years for the process to be finalised.

Are there new rules comming for student visa application ?
Skilled migration shake-up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts