Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Me and spouse(dependent) have been granted PR and my wife has alread travelled to sydney 10 days back. I am planning to join her in a months time
My questions

1) Can my wife apply for Medicare with me(primary applicant) still not being in the country? If yes, can she also apply for medicare for me in her application?

2) If she applies individually now , and when i apply later, will ours be linked as a family?

Any guidance on the above is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello All,

Me and spouse(dependent) have been granted PR and my wife has alread travelled to sydney 10 days back. I am planning to join her in a months time
My questions

1) Can my wife apply for Medicare with me(primary applicant) still not being in the country? If yes, can she also apply for medicare for me in her application?

2) If she applies individually now , and when i apply later, will ours be linked as a family?

Any guidance on the above is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vivek
1. Yes she can enrol for Medicare. You can't enrol till you move to Australia permanently.

2. When you move to Australia later, you can link to existing Medicare number that is assigned to your wife. As far as I remember, in the enrolment form, you can specify existing Medicare number. Each person on Medicare gets a reference number such as 1, 2, 3 in addition to the Medicare number which is same for a family.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
1. Yes she can enrol for Medicare. You can't enrol till you move to Australia permanently.

2. When you move to Australia later, you can link to existing Medicare number that is assigned to your wife. As far as I remember, in the enrolment form, you can specify existing Medicare number. Each person on Medicare gets a reference number such as 1, 2, 3 in addition to the Medicare number which is same for a family.
What is the process to apply for Medicare? Again medical tests OR everything is online?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
What is the process to apply for Medicare? Again medical tests OR everything is online?
You need to go to the Medicare office with your passport to enrol. There are no medical tests but you cannot apply online, you need to attend in person. Every person enrolling for Medicare (including children 15 and older) needs to attend in person.

All the information you need is on their website including application forms. https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/enrol-medicare

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

I am applying for Medicare after permanently moving to Australia with my wife under 189 PR. When filling out the Medicare application form I guess we have two options.

(I) Both of us can enter our details in the same form and apply for 1 card and get duplicates of that or
(II) We can fill two application forms and apply separately and get two unique cards. And I think we can even combine them later if needed.

Is my understanding correct? If I am right could someone please tell what is more beneficial and practical in our case.

1. What is more beneficial?
When applying as a couple is there any financial advantage like a tax benefit than applying as two individuals.

2. What is Safety net Threshold?
The Medicare application form says, "If you are registered as a family, we combine your medical costs so you are more likely to reach the threshold amounts sooner."
Could someone please explain what this means? So if we apply as a couple will is it beneficial to reach the threshold amounts sooner or is it something we need to avoid?

3. What is more practical when it comes to using this as a valid form of ID?
Since this is more like our first ID in Australia is it better to have two unique cards with our own names in each of them? We still do not have an Australian driving license so this identity verification is important to us as well.

Appreciate if some one can help

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hi guys,

I am applying for Medicare after permanently moving to Australia with my wife under 189 PR. When filling out the Medicare application form I guess we have two options.

(I) Both of us can enter our details in the same form and apply for 1 card and get duplicates of that or
(II) We can fill two application forms and apply separately and get two unique cards. And I think we can even combine them later if needed.

Is my understanding correct? If I am right could someone please tell what is more beneficial and practical in our case.

1. What is more beneficial?
When applying as a couple is there any financial advantage like a tax benefit than applying as two individuals.

2. What is Safety net Threshold?
The Medicare application form says, "If you are registered as a family, we combine your medical costs so you are more likely to reach the threshold amounts sooner."
Could someone please explain what this means? So if we apply as a couple will is it beneficial to reach the threshold amounts sooner or is it something we need to avoid?

3. What is more practical when it comes to using this as a valid form of ID?
Since this is more like our first ID in Australia is it better to have two unique cards with our own names in each of them? We still do not have an Australian driving license so this identity verification is important to us as well.

Appreciate if some one can help
Even if you were to apply individually, it still records your family members details, so not sure if you can opt out to be separate. With regards to Tax, there is a lot to it if you are eligible to Family Tax Benefits. If you are eligible under FTB A, then your thresholds may be paid back to you. Do read about it in details and I guess it is always beneficial to group your Medicare as a family.

BTW, Thresholds are not limits on your treatments, but they are on what you pay as gap or out of pocket. There are some treatments wherein you need to pay out of pocket and such costs add up to your thresholds. In fact, once you exhaust your thresholds, your Medicare benefits increase :).

Note that Medicare cannot be used as Photo ID, so eventually you would need one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts