Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I live in Australia - I am Australian, he is Canadian and has permanent residency. We are returning to Canada for a visit of about a month, and would like to marry whilst there. He was divorced in Ontario, me here in Australia. I know that we need to apply to the Ministry of Government Services for authorisaton to apply for a marriage licence, also that we need a letter from a lawyer in Ontario. Because our time there is limited, does anyone have any idea how long we might wait for the authorisation? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We just went through this. Although my man is a citizen, we both haf foreign divorces, so we had to apply through the ministry to get permission to marry. He took all the completed forms and divorce decrees to the lawyer, and it only took her a day or two. It took about

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...sorry, network trouble.

It took about 3 weeks to get the permission letter.
Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate it. Looks like it might be "do-able" in our time frame. (It's hard to contact the Ministry - the email I sent their address failed to be delivered, and I had no luck on their 1-800 phone number.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would say mail the papers and include any questions you may have. I was amazed at their care and consideration. We left out one form due to a misunderstanding by the attorney, and after we re-sent the correct form, the ministry actually fedexed our letter of permission!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's great to know. Thanks again, and I hope all turned out well for you, for your wedding. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.