Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am coming to australia on work visa (457) and will be working for an oil company at adelaide.

I am thinking to apply for immigaration after coming to australia? Is it possible to apply for immigaration while working at australia on 457 visa?

My questions are

How long at average it take to get the immigaration if i apply from australia, i am pakistan national. ?

Is their any benefit i can get regarding immigaration, if i apply from australia ?

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi islamabadguy,

I'm assuming that your are referring to a permanent residency (PR) visa (such as the 189/190 subclasses described on SkillSelect). If you fulfill the requirements, score at least 60 points on the points test and get an invite - sure, you can apply while in Australia on a 457! Read up on the requirements for points tested visas on SkillSelect or in DIAC Booklet 6.

One advantage of applying onshore: Once you lodge the application you automatically apply for a bridging visa as well. This means, if your 457 visa ceases before the visa decision is made, you can lawfully stay in Australia and wait for the decision. However, this does not apply if your visa is canceled, meaning if you quit your job with the oil company you won't get a bridging visa. It's more relevant for people whose 457 visa stay is close to the 4-year mark. Otherwise I don't think there is much difference in processing.

The estimated processing times from DIAC are the same for onshore and offshore applicants for points tested visas (6-12 months depending on the subclass). However, security checks and referred medicals can cause a significant delay. Pakistani applicants often face long waits due to the security checks. And you'd have to get an invite to apply for the visa first.

This works in the following way: You take a language test and get your skills assessed. You calculate your points in the points test (based on age, education level, language skills etc.). If you can score 50+ points you put in an Expression of Interest (EOI) on SkillSelect. You need 60+ to get an invite by DIAC but states/regions can nominate you for a 190 or 489 (provisional) visa, which gives you an extra 5 or 10 points. With sponsorship you should get an immediate invite, independent applicants (=189 hopefuls) are ranked by 1.) points and 2.) submission/last change date of the EOI. Once a certain planning level (= occupation ceiling) for an occupation group is reached, no more invitations are issued during that financial year, so your EOI can sit in the system for months if the ceiling caps. For example, a maximum of 750 Mining Engineers will get an invitation this financial year. There is no guarantee to get an invite.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi islamabadguy,

I'm assuming that your are referring to a permanent residency (PR) visa (such as the 189/190 subclasses described on SkillSelect). If you fulfill the requirements, score at least 60 points on the points test and get an invite - sure, you can apply while in Australia on a 457! Read up on the requirements for points tested visas on SkillSelect or in DIAC Booklet 6.

One advantage of applying onshore: Once you lodge the application you automatically apply for a bridging visa as well. This means, if your 457 visa ceases before the visa decision is made, you can lawfully stay in Australia and wait for the decision. However, this does not apply if your visa is canceled, meaning if you quit your job with the oil company you won't get a bridging visa. It's more relevant for people whose 457 visa stay is close to the 4-year mark. Otherwise I don't think there is much difference in processing.

The estimated processing times from DIAC are the same for onshore and offshore applicants for points tested visas (6-12 months depending on the subclass). However, security checks and referred medicals can cause a significant delay. Pakistani applicants often face long waits due to the security checks. And you'd have to get an invite to apply for the visa first.

This works in the following way: You take a language test and get your skills assessed. You calculate your points in the points test (based on age, education level, language skills etc.). If you can score 50+ points you put in an Expression of Interest (EOI) on SkillSelect. You need 60+ to get an invite by DIAC but states/regions can nominate you for a 190 or 489 (provisional) visa, which gives you an extra 5 or 10 points. With sponsorship you should get an immediate invite, independent applicants (=189 hopefuls) are ranked by 1.) points and 2.) submission/last change date of the EOI. Once a certain planning level (= occupation ceiling) for an occupation group is reached, no more invitations are issued during that financial year, so your EOI can sit in the system for months if the ceiling caps. For example, a maximum of 750 Mining Engineers will get an invitation this financial year. There is no guarantee to get an invite.

Cheers,
Monika

Dear Monika,

Thanks for your email, you are right, i am referring towards the permanent residency. I am intending to apply it from Australia once i will be there on work visa 457. I am bit confused that once i will be in austaralia with all the security check already done on 457 visa, i will have to again through security checks, and with your experienced and expert knowledge, what you think its practical idea to process or apply for PR as soon i reach austaralia ( 3-4 months after arriving to australia). Though my employer have comitted with me, that they will sponsor my PR after 2 years of employment. As i am newbie for australian immigaration so will appreciate your guidance.

Regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi islamabadguy,

first check the points test page and make a rough estimate of your points. You need at least 60 points to qualify for an invitation. You may be able to reuse your police checks and medicals but they must be less than a year old at the time you apply (and still be valid at the time you get your grant). My opinion is that if you qualify for a PR visa now and plan to stay in Australia - yes, apply for it yourself! You have no guarantee that you'll get PR through your employer in two years. They economic situation for you employer or the visa requirements may change. So you may not qualify or not have the support in 2 years. It is convenient for the employer because it is hard for you to change jobs on a 457 (need to find a new sponsor) and you must stay two years with the same employer to get sponsored towards PR. So you have a strong incentive to stick with the employer, even if the job bad. Check the requirements and then you'll have a better overview of your options.

Monika

1 - 4 of 4 Posts