Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a longtime visitor of expatforum, first time poster.

I have a couple of questions about the SET M stuff-

My background: I came in on a spousal visa in Sept 2011 from the US. I have my Life in the UK test booked for next week (feeling confident) and a premium same-day appointment booked for the week after that. My partner's and my finances are healthy, he works full-time for an airline, and I work at an office, but not fixed hours. We have no children. Neither of us claims any benefits.

My questions are regarding the following: can I get a clarification on the biometrics requirement? I remember having my fingerprints taken in the US as part of my application 2+ years ago, but will that all be on record? Or do I need to do them again? Do I need to find the proof that I had them done before?

Also, regarding my work, I don't have fixed hours- sometimes I work for a couple of weeks at a time full-time, sometimes I don't work for a couple of weeks- so my monthly pay is varied. Given that it (combined with my partner's pay) is plenty enough to support us, will 6 months of bank statements and pay stubs for the two of us still be sufficient proof of finance?

And lastly- the proof of address. This worries me, because both my partner and I don't really get mail, especially the kind that seems to be required to prove where we live. We don't have anything with our joint names on it! We live with my partner's mother to be able to save money to buy our own place someday. Therefore we are not under any rental agreement, mortgage, council tax, or utility bills. From what I can think of as far as acknowledged proof of address, we've got bank statements (we have separate accounts though), pay stubs, I have stuff from the GP (my own name only), and I might have some correspondence from when I was trying to get my NIN.

Is this requirement to prove where we live, or more to prove that we live together (in a valid marriage)? Would a letter from my partner's mother stating that we both live there, along with her copies of the bills be of any use? Does that letter need to be notarized?

Well I think those are all my questions at the moment- if you're still with me, thanks for reading the long post! I've tried doing a bit of digging on the forums to see if there are any existing posts on these topics, but haven't found much answering my specific queries. If anyone can point my in the right direction, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A letter from your partner's mother would be ignored. If you both have letters going to the same address - over the period of your marriage - you should be okay. But I'm frankly suspicious so I know the UKBA will be too. So try to find something that proves you're a genuine, happy couple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Suspicious??

I'm not really afraid of not seeming like a legitimate couple, because well, we are haha! I could come up with other forms of proof of our relationship as well as our cohabitation, but I'm just not sure if they would be "official".

Over the 2+ years I've been here, I've had the letter that I got with my NIN, a letter from when I registered with the NHS, 2 letters from my GP, and the letter I got when I opened my bank account. My pay stubs have been given to me in person, and do have my address. But other than that, I've only had the occasional personal card and lots of stuff from Amazon. I don't really know what other mail I would have received, considering I don't own property or pay any bills.

When I first applied to come over, a letter from my mother-in-law was used as proof of a place to live as my husband didn't have any bills/utilities in his name (and still doesn't!). So surely it might do some good, although I realize it doesn't take the place of all forms of proof of address.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Yours and your Husband's mobile phone bills?

Husband's credit card bills?

Husband's bank statements?`

Husband's P60 and Payslips?

Yours and your Husband's driving license photocard/paper counterpart?

Surely you have those items kicking around, yes? They would be helpful to take with you.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
If you can show that you meet the £112.50/week in the bank criteria with your husband's pay, you need only produce his bank statements (if you can show the £112.50/week in the bank with your statements alone, then just show your bank statements)... as you are a so-called "Pre-July 9th 2012 'Old Rules'" visa holder, you are exempt from having to meet the current £18.6k minimum income threshold... you just need to show that you have £112.50/week in the bank, just like at the time you originally applied for your Spouse Visa.

Good luck to you.

ETA: Yes, you'll have to do biometrics again (for the last time) at your PEO appointment. In regards to the previous time(s) you've done them, you just need to give the date and the location(s) that they were done... for example, I did my biometrics on July 5, 2012 in Vancouver, Canada when I applied for my Fiancée Visa and again on November 6, 2012 in Birmingham when we switched my visa to FLR(M), so I need to indicate those two dates when I go to apply for ILR next October... you don't need to provide proof beyond the dates that you went on the days that you specify, as the UKBA will have that information on file anyway.

Once you've received ILR and have been in the UK for 3 years, you can apply for naturalisation (i.e. if you arrived for the first time on 20 September 2011, you can apply on or after September 21 of next year, provided you meet the other criteria for eligibility for naturalisation).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know this sounds a bit terrible but what if you don't remember when you did your biometrics when applying for the spouse visa?

I know I applied like at the end of June and can't remember if I did my biometrics June 2? Something or July within the first week. I just don't remember! How can you find out?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I would think (and someone will correct me if/when I'm wrong) that indicating a month and year would suffice in this regard.

The only reason why I know the exact dates is that July 5 is my Mom's wedding anniversary and November 6 is exactly 3 days after my anniversary (the IO was surprised to see us there so soon after the wedding... we were married on a Saturday and had made arrangements for a PEO appointment on the following Tuesday... we had wanted/tried to get in for the Monday but couldn't secure an appointment)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks for the replies, I find them helpful.

As far as my partner goes, he's got sufficient evidence to prove he lives here, i. e. Bank statements, and P-whatevers. I know I could get bank statements for myself. Both mobiles are in husband's name. But we don't have credit cards, and unfortunately no driver's stuff as we don't find we need it in Central London. I'm not really stressed *too* much about this all, as I expect we'll be fine on proof of the relationship and all, but I find it helpful to know other people's experiences and opinions. And I always just get annoyed with the proof of address for everything! The price one pays for having no debt and sponging off the in-laws :rolleyes:

I think I'll have to try and solicit some mail over the next few weeks, with at least my name on it if not mine as well as my husband's!

Thanks also for the clarification on the biometrics, from what I read on the UKBA website I wasn't sure if I had to make a separate appointment at different office like before.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Just a thought... you might want to go and talk to the people at the Settlement Checking Service to see what they advise in regards to what post you can use to show that you've lived together for the last two years.

I don't know what part of London you're in, but there are a few Councils that offer this service.... check here for the Greater London area locations. I think that the fee for this should be less than £100.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks WestCoast, I will definitely look into that.

Catalanista, I'm not sure if she does; I didn't even know that was a thing, so I doubt it. I'll have to look into it too though...

·
Registered
77 Posts
UK Householders need to declare who is living with them in order to calculate local taxes, formerly called rates. She may well have included you on the list of people living at her address and this should prove where you have been living, worth a try.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
UK Householders need to declare who is living with them in order to calculate local taxes, formerly called rates. She may well have included you on the list of people living at her address and this should prove where you have been living, worth a try.
This is incorrect.
For the council tax (as local tax is called), you only need to declare if you are entitled to a discount or exemption, such as a single household (only one adult in the property), full-time students (all exempt), empty property undergoing repairs and so on. So it's highly unlikely that you have been registered as such for the council tax, unless your mother-in-law chose to put your name down as joint council tax payer.
There is a list of people registered to vote at each address called electoral register, which must be renewed each year (around October). This lists people eligible to vote, which includes British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens and EU citizens (for some elections), but not others (e.g. Americans, Brazilians, Japanese, Chinese etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apologies to Catalanista and Joppa, I didn't see these replies! Have been busy the last couple of weeks with the Life in the UK test and my SET M application appointment yesterday.

Had my premium appointment yesterday, and just wanted to update on how it went in case anyone else has similar queries to my original ones. When I originally posted, I had only looked on the UKBA website for answers regarding the proof of address issue, but I hadn't actually looked at the application itself!

So in the process of filling out the actual application, I spotted this gem:

"Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide 6 items; if the documents are not addressed to both of you; or if they do not cover the 2-year period. If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the 2-year period, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this."

That was on page 30 of the application, section 11, note 8, regarding the documents for proof of address. So we had my mother-in-law type up a short letter just explaining our living situation, and we submitted that with the most recent copy of her council tax statement.

It must have been sufficient, because my application was approved without any further questions. So I'm relieved it's all settled, and now I can be officially settled. Haha.

So in case anyone is in my same situation, it turns out that a letter from whoever you are living with can (I won't say guaranteed 'will') serve as proof of address/cohabitation.

Thanks all for previous responses and help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and almost forgot- I too just put on the application form the month and year when I originally had biometrics done, not the specific date as couldn't remember- and that seemed to be okay!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.