Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spouse visa. I applied at the beginning of 2013 which means I applied under the 5-year route. I now have to apply for further leave to remain next month (visa expires in July). I am about to start gathering all the information regarding the visa application to make sure I am well informed to fill my application. The one thing that I already have a question about is regarding a couple of trips abroad I made because my mother has metastatic cancer.

Last year when we found out she had metastasis and that this has led to a brain tumour which put her life at risk I flew to my country to be with her for a while. I ended up spending about 3 months there as I had to look after her while she received radiotherapy and I changed my flight twice, once because we hadn't found a suitable carer for her and the second time because my passport expired while I was there and I couldn't get an appointment to renew it quickly. When I came back to the UK I had no problems entering the country. They didn't ask me why I was away for so long or anything. A few months ago I went again to visit her. She is responding well to her treatment and is now stable but this can change if there are any complications (there have been many since the metastasis was detected but fortunately she is still with us). On that occasion I was there for about three weeks. On my return I again had no problems to enter the country. But now I am wondering whether particularly the first trip could have an impact on my application.

I was intending to apply in person this year so that they don't take away my passport for long and if I have to travel back to my country because of an emergency then I can do it without problems. But then I found about the NHS charge. Because we hadn't anticipated this extra cost my husband and I now feel it will be necessary to apply by post to reduce the costs.

So I am wondering now if I should send a letter with my application from my mother's doctor stating her condition and then attaching another letter in which I explain that it is because of my mother's cancer that I was away for 3 months last year. If I had applied in person I would have been able to gauge during the interview whether to hand out such documents or not but now that I am applying by post I am unsure about what to do.

When I applied in 2013 I applied in person to avoid the postal backlog we were facing back then so I haven't done a postal application before. Could anyone help me with some feedback from your own experience or knowledge? Shall I send those documents along with everything else or shall I wait to see if the application goes smoothly and only send them if they ask for further details?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Due to the unfortunate circumstances UKVI should see that you had genuine reasons for being out of the UK for extended periods. Send proof of this with your application to prevent delays or refusal because there is never a guarantee that they will request additional information - they could simply make decision on what they have before them.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
3 months isn't particularly long and you had legitimate reason to be out of the country. Just explain briefly the reasons for your trip.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 months isn't particularly long and you had legitimate reason to be out of the country. Just explain briefly the reasons for your trip.
So you don't think I need to send a letter from the doctor stating what my mother has? I do have a letter but it's not in English so I was considering requesting a new one in English. Youn mean a covering letter written by me will be enough?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Joppa, sorry to ask again about this but I was wondering if on question 6.9 (please see below) I should say Yes? Or select No and explain there I was away for three months and state why? Or whether to just include this information in a covering letter? I now have a letter from my mother's doctor in English so I could include that with my application too, or just if they ask for proof?

Question 6.9: If relevant, have you lived together permanently in the UK with your sponsor since your last grant of limited leave to remain as a partner?
Yes (Go to question 6.16)
No (Please provide details of any periods when you have not lived with your sponsor since your last grant of limited leave to remain and any reasons why you have not done so)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Select No and explain you were away 3 months to care for your sick mother. You can attach medical report but since 3 months isn't particularly long, just your saying so should be sufficient.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Select No and explain you were away 3 months to care for your sick mother. You can attach medical report but since 3 months isn't particularly long, just your saying so should be sufficient.
Thank you for your reply. I hope you don't mind me asking further about this. Would you suggest I also say no in question 6.21 below? I was wondering about that one because although I was away I have never actually moved out of the house even if I was away for the 3 months. All my belongings were always in the UK and I had bills in my name, etc in the UK. So I don't want to give the impression that I have ever moved out. Or should I say no and specify I was away 3 months but didn't actually move out.

6.21 Have you lived with your sponsor since your marriage or civil partnership?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just state you were away for 3 months to visit your sick mother. They should be happy with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.