Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have moved to Australia last month and i have started working here. I have a valid Indian driving license which i possess from last 10 years and my name on the license matches Indian Passport. Unfortunately i cant drive in Australia with my Indian license, as i had landed in Sydney one year back for activating my PR and that grace period for driving with Indian license was over. Now i would like to apply for a Victorian Driving License. Holding an Indian license, will it be beneficiary in cutting down the process and going via an easy route? I heard that i can convert my license to Victorian license and i can get some exceptions in certain processess, but not sure what is that and how to proceed.

Should i get a letter from RTO still? Should i go for VFS verification route? Not sure about all these processes, but i know only bits and pieces.

Can anyone help me in this case, if you have gone through similar situation in Victoria recently.

Thanks
Shobith

·
Registered
23,955 Posts
Hello,

I have moved to Australia last month and i have started working here. I have a valid Indian driving license which i possess from last 10 years and my name on the license matches Indian Passport. Unfortunately i cant drive in Australia with my Indian license, as i had landed in Sydney one year back for activating my PR and that grace period for driving with Indian license was over. Now i would like to apply for a Victorian Driving License. Holding an Indian license, will it be beneficiary in cutting down the process and going via an easy route? I heard that i can convert my license to Victorian license and i can get some exceptions in certain processess, but not sure what is that and how to proceed.

Should i get a letter from RTO still? Should i go for VFS verification route? Not sure about all these processes, but i know only bits and pieces.

Can anyone help me in this case, if you have gone through similar situation in Victoria recently.

Thanks
Shobith
1. Get a certificate of authencity or Driving license extract from the RTO where your license was issued. It should not be more then 6 months old when you apply.

2. Get your DL verified through VFS by Indian high commission using this letter and DL
Not only your name, your fathers name should also be identical on the passport and DL

3. Apply to VIC with these documents

4. You will need to appear for the law, hazards and the driving test

I am still completing stage 1& 2 for my wife's driving license so do recheck stage 3&4
As I personally had a NZ driving license, only sl. 1 was applicable for me and was easily converted to Vic license

Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guys.., need to clear my doubt .

I have two country licence INDIA & SINGAPORE .
Question, use my Singapore licence to drive vehicle in AUS (NSW) (or) should I convert to Australia license (or) need to apply new licence & attend any practical, theoretical tests ?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Guys.., need to clear my doubt .

I have two country licence INDIA & SINGAPORE .
Question, use my Singapore licence to drive vehicle in AUS (NSW) (or) should I convert to Australia license (or) need to apply new licence & attend any practical, theoretical tests ?

Thx

Since you hold the license from recognised country i.e Singapore, you won't need to take written and driving test to get Australian license in NSW. You can simply visit any service centre near to you along with your Singapore license, passport, visa and get Australian license straight away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guide on getting review on verification of my Driving License.

Dear Friends,

I hold a computerized driving license of M.Car from Pakistan which was issued on 30/12/2014. It has all details same as my passport and I have got a verification certificate from the regional government driving license office as well. Now, what is the next step to be eligible to drive in Victoria. I have read on VicRoad website that I need to send the license off to review the authenticity of it.

My question is whom shall I send it to for the review of its authenticity?

Regards.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since you hold the license from recognised country i.e Singapore, you won't need to take written and driving test to get Australian license in NSW. You can simply visit any service centre near to you along with your Singapore license, passport, visa and get Australian license straight away.

Ohhhh that's great news jack . Since, 2013 I m holding Sg licence . But, I read thru one website international licence can use AUS, but only 3months and need to take test after 3months ... is it true ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ohhhh that's great news jack . Since, 2013 I m holding Sg licence . But, I read thru one website international licence can use AUS, but only 3months and need to take test after 3months ... is it true ?

Yes, that is correct. Not just international but even valid Indian license can be used for 3 months in Australia. However, those 3 months start from the date of your first entry, so if you make first validation trip and then come back again after a year, you can't drive on Indian or international license.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, that is correct. Not just international but even valid Indian license can be used for 3 months in Australia. However, those 3 months start from the date of your first entry, so if you make first validation trip and then come back again after a year, you can't drive on Indian or international license.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much jack for your kind reply

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dear Friends,

I hold a computerized driving license of M.Car from Pakistan which was issued on 30/12/2014. It has all details same as my passport and I have got a verification certificate from the regional government driving license office as well. Now, what is the next step to be eligible to drive in Victoria. I have read on VicRoad website that I need to send the license off to review the authenticity of it.

My question is whom shall I send it to for the review of its authenticity?

Regards.
Vicroads now verifies most overseas licenses. They verify it themselves and do not accept any other verification report. They take your license once you clear Hazard Perception test and it takes about 4 weeks. You cant book a drive test until they have verified your license.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Vicroads now verifies most overseas licenses. They verify it themselves and do not accept any other verification report. They take your license once you clear Hazard Perception test and it takes about 4 weeks. You cant book a drive test until they have verified your license.
Thank you so much dear for the information.

·
Registered
218 Posts
is anybody else facing issues in getting their original license verified by VicRoads? What is the solution for this?

·
Registered
340 Posts
is anybody else facing issues in getting their original license verified by VicRoads? What is the solution for this?
What issue are you facing??

Heard that now license verification is instant. If your license is genuine and has a chip, then they verify it instantly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts