Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Have anyone applied for the Australian Citizenship while outside Australia? Is this possible? I just married an American and I am moving there, but I don't want to lose my Australian Citizenship. I will be eligible in coming April. and I am planning to go to USA Around February. The way I read requirements is that during last year before applying, applicant need to be in Australia for 9 months atleast and can be outside for 3 months at max. so by February I will be here for 10 months, and I will spend 2 months in USA, and when I become eligible, if possible, I will apply for citizenship there.

Anyone done that?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi jonheaps,

the main problem may be the residency requirement (see Residence Requirements Calculator):

To satisfy the residence requirements you must have:
  • 4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship and
  • absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total in the 4 years prior to application, including not more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to application.
So yes, you can apply from overseas but only if you moved there no more than 90 days before the citizenship application. Theoretically, if you move to the US two months before you become eligible you should qualify. However, I don't know if you can take the citizenship test and attend a citizenship ceremony overseas. You may have to travel back for that.

Wouldn't it be less stressful to delay the move until after you have citizenship?

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Monika. I have to go to USA asap because immigration there is a Royal Pain if you know what I mean, as compared to Australia. Australian system is much much better than US, thats why I am hopeful they can accommodate this request. I can certainly come back take test and go back , and if possible take oath there in embassy. I checked on embassy website that they provide tests and oath ceremonies. If they can help, it will save me 2 trips to Australia or in other words around 4k $.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts