Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone here know any info on if there are any rules or not on applying for a visa while pregnant ? Wife has a potential job offer from a company in NZ that she worked for before and now they're wanting her to come back again. We'd be applying for the 30 month Talen Visa and then once we're there applying for PR if we decide we want to stay. But now the question is, can we still apply for the Talent Visa if she is pregnant ? Any help on what to do in this situation for the visa would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
If you were applying for Resident Visa I could have given you advice as my wife was pregnant during the processing of our resident visa application and we simply added him on after he was born and we had a birth certificate, passport and medical for him. We applied without a job offer so didn't have any work conditions.
Usually if you apply with a job offer you have to take up work within 3 months and prove you have been working for 3 months so if you timed it right you'd be fine.

I guess this is different if you go the temporary talent visa route. For this you need a written job offer which you say is on the cards, but would it stand if she is pregnant ? I can't really guess they'd be happy to fulfill the job offer knowing she is pregnant and will at some point have to leave work to have the baby and care for the baby for a time?
You need to make sure of course as I'm not 100% but I wouldn't expect Immigration would be happy to approve a visa for anyone that is pregnant, even if they are fit and healthy. I'd expect them to delay processing until the baby was born and of course you have a legal duty to declare it.....it'll be on her medical report anyways no doubt.

So in answer, there's nothing stopping your wife applying for the visa, but processing is unlikely to be completed until the baby is born.
I assume you are also aware of the visa processing rule changes that are about to come in to force which may prevent partners and children applying via the partnership / dependent route ?
There are no specifics yet other than a couple of published notifications but the rule changes come in to force August 14th.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've been working on and planning on moving to NZ for awhile, as my wife was there before and is looking forward to going back to her old job that she had there. They want her back there on a full time basis but due to the time frame of how quickly they want her there, we looked in to it and were thinking that the Talent Visa would be our best way to get there quickly like they're wanting. But then once we are there, we can then apply for PR and stay there. So the Talent Visa is being used just to get us there quickly and then apply for the PR once we are there, so hopefully her job would be ok with her being pregnant, and so I guess now the only problem might be the immigration process, though I was under the impression it was possible to get a visa even while pregnant. But hopefully we can figure it out more soon. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
We've been working on and planning on moving to NZ for awhile, as my wife was there before and is looking forward to going back to her old job that she had there. They want her back there on a full time basis but due to the time frame of how quickly they want her there, we looked in to it and were thinking that the Talent Visa would be our best way to get there quickly like they're wanting. But then once we are there, we can then apply for PR and stay there. So the Talent Visa is being used just to get us there quickly and then apply for the PR once we are there, so hopefully her job would be ok with her being pregnant, and so I guess now the only problem might be the immigration process, though I was under the impression it was possible to get a visa even while pregnant. But hopefully we can figure it out more soon. Thanks.
Yes, the temporary visa is the route to go to get her there quicker to take up the job and then once here you can look at something more permanent. Just note that if you do it this way you won't be applying for PR....you are not eligible for that until you have held RV for minimum 2 years.

Anything is possible with regards to Immigration and visa's. She isn't ill, just pregnant.
However, immigration are very keen on any potential immigrant depleting NZ's Health Services and since the Talent Visa would be granted for 30 months (more than 2 years) she would be eligible for the same care as a resident, permanent resident or citizen, meaning having a baby here in the most part would be completely free.....The costs to the NZ Health System just for the simplest of births is high. That's thousands of dollars to strike off for a new immigrant who's pregnant and the reason why I just can't see Immigration approving the visa whilst she is pregnant as in doing so they are giving her the ticket to almost free healthcare to have the baby here.
There's also the question on the status of the baby if it were to be born here. If a baby is born here to parents who are on a permanent class visa - i.e. Resident Visa, Permanent Residency Visa then the baby is automatically classed as an NZ Citizen and the birth is registered here and they can apply for an NZ passport. I'm not 100% on the rules, BUT this may also apply to baby's that are born to parents on temporary visas that have a duration of at least 24 months, so that is another issue that may prevent the visa being approved until the baby is born.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts