Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am in Edinburgh currently on a Fiance Visa. My fiance and I are getting married on the 8th of May. I then have an appointment the following week to clear the Spouse Visa in person.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any rules against applying for jobs whilst on a Fiance Visa? I know I can't work until after I have the Spouse Visa.

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
The 1st question a prospective employer is likely to ask you is: do you have a visa which allows you to work? When you say no they are unlikely to want to speak to you any further. Best to wait until you have FLR (M).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules, but I would go ahead and apply for jobs. The hiring process can take several weeks. Just treat your visa appointment day as the date you are available for work. In this country, a month's notice period is standard and it's 2 months in some places, so hiring managers realise you won't be available right away.

I have found that it helps to put my visa status on my CV (once you have FLRm). Other people say not to, but I think hiring managers look at my CV with all my US experience (and minimal UK experience) and jump to the conclusion that I am after a Tier 2 visa. At the top of my CV, at the end of my summary, I put 'Please note, although I am from the US, I have full permission to work in the UK and do not require sponsorship or a visa". It does seem to help me get interviews.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Strictly speaking, you aren't supposed to start applying for jobs with a fiancé(e) visa. And since the grant of FLR isn't a forgone conclusion (it can be turned down), you can't say you are available to start on the day of your appointment. Besides that, there is a tricky question of biometric residence permit, which can take several days to come through and without it you have no official confirmation of your right to work, which you employer is obliged to check and make a photocopy of.
There is nothing to stop you looking for jobs, but any serious application should wait till you get your BRP. Others may have got away applying early, but think of the consequences of Home Office finding out what you have been up to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For full disclosure, I was still on the end of my Tier 4 visa when I was applying. So I was technically allowed to work, then switched to FLRm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.