Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need to start my employment in Australia in the month of March2020. But because of the carona issue I couldn't reach Australia on time and discussed with the employer to connect remotely till things get settled down. The employer is ready for this arrangement but the only thing that is blocking us to start is the TFN number. I understood that I cant apply for TFN online as long as I am offshore. But is there any chance that I can apply for TFN from offshore?

There is a link on ATO.GOV.AU website that explains about TFN number for people living outside Australia. Due to forum restrictions am not able to post the link.

ato.gov.au/individuals/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/people-living-outside-australia---tfn-application/

Any help here is highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi

I need to start my employment in Australia in the month of March2020. But because of the carona issue I couldn't reach Australia on time and discussed with the employer to connect remotely till things get settled down. The employer is ready for this arrangement but the only thing that is blocking us to start is the TFN number. I understood that I cant apply for TFN online as long as I am offshore. But is there any chance that I can apply for TFN from offshore?

There is a link on ATO.GOV.AU website that explains about TFN number for people living outside Australia. Due to forum restrictions am not able to post the link.

ato.gov.au/individuals/tax-file-number/apply-for-a-tfn/people-living-outside-australia---tfn-application/

Any help here is highly appreciated.
You can apply for TFN from outside AU and the link you posted is the right pathway to apply. You cannot apply online (since you are overseas) but have to post the completed application along with certified documents to the address mentioned at the end of TFN application form.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can apply for TFN from outside AU and the link you posted is the right pathway to apply. You cannot apply online (since you are overseas) but have to post the completed application along with certified documents to the address mentioned at the end of TFN application form.
Thank you. I have called ATO office and confirmed the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts