Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! I'm an American citizen with an Irish/American wife, and presently we're living in London and I have an EEA Family Permit.

My current EEAFP is expiring soon and I haven't gotten my EEA Residence Card as of yet. Ordinarily we'd just wait, but my wife and I are visiting her sister in Italy soon, so I probably need another EEAFP.

I can't apply for another EEAFP from within the UK, is that correct? Can I apply for another EEA Family Permit while in Italy, or do I have to go back to the US? Will I have problems for having had an EEAFP before?

Or does it just make more sense to take our marriage certificate, her employment contract, and our joint lease with us and get a Code 1A at the border when we re-enter the UK? What are the odds of us having problems, if we are entering together with those documents? Can anyone share their recent experiences?

Thank you!

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
You can apply for EEA family permit anywhere outside UK (the best option). Or you can try getting code 1A stamp at UK border. UKVI don't really like it (though EU rules allow it) and want to discourage it (as it adds to congestion and workload; having to make a snap decision over a passenger's admissibility). You will be probably ok, though expect less than friendly reaction.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.