Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone faced this issue before or maybe knows what the rules around this are?

My wife and I will soon be eligible to apply for British citizenship - we've had until now different last names, but now she's decided to take my last name.

If she was to take the life in the UK and the language test with her maiden name, but then applies for citizenship with my last name, would that work? (her changing her last name means she'll have to get new ID and passport from our home country as well. So the passport she used for the tests would be different from the passports she would uses for the citizenship application)

The reason we're trying to do the tests now is because we need to move from UK for like 6months just a few weeks before we're eligible to apply, so we were thinking of having everything ready and just apply online (the other option is to apply when we come back, but then we'd have to wait almost one year - as you're not allowed to be outside UK for more than 90 days in the last 12 months)

As I wrote the above I realised it's a slim chance of that working out, but still thought I'd check.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It may seem that the easiest thing to do would be to do all of your tests and the citizenship application under the maiden name, get the citizenship, as the completion of all of the processes done before under the maiden name, and to cause as little confusion as possible. Then, when you have your citizenship, it is a simple process to change to the married name when you are applying for a passport, along with updating all the other relevant govt. departments.

You can see a lot here:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
If your naturalisation certificate is issued in your maiden name, then you would have to submit it to be changed before you can apply for a British passport. This can take 6+ weeks. Just something to be aware of

1 - 3 of 3 Posts