Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a permanent resident. I applied for Medicare card in March and then had to leave the country due to some reason. The card never arrived at the provided mailing address or if it arrived it could not reach me. Now a week ago I returned to Australia and asked the Medicare persons to re-issue me. The representative told me that I have to apply for a new one through the complete process again as I was out of the country for last 6 months, that old card never got activated (something like this was told).

is it normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
If a card was sent to your old address and you never received it, theoretically someone else could have used it fraudulently. In order to prevent that, they need to cancel that card and issue a new one. This is probably why they need to reissue you with a new card and number. A similar thing happened to me (although it was with a card renewal) as I hadn't updated my mailing address with Medicare and my old card had expired.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

I called Medicare helpline and, strangely and interestingly, the representative after asking for my data and posting address told me that my new Medicare card has been mailed to my new provided address and it will reach me in 1-2 week time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts