Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just completed our online citizenship forms :eek:
We sent for PCC from the UK on November 11th and it came back yesterday (Dec 10th) so we've applied for citizenship today.

I had to tell about my driving conviction earlier in the year since it said to state any driving offence where you had to attend court. Hopefully it won't make a difference to the application - intellectually I know it won't but it's still a worry :)

So now we wait for the appointment to do the citizenship test and have our documents inspected. In the mean time we can get our proof of identity done and we've already decided on someone who can do that for us (if he agrees :) ).

On the website they say it takes 12 weeks but we have Christmas and the holidays so I'm expecting it to take longer than that.

I'll let you know how we get on....

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Good luck Karen. I know the waiting lists are longer now so I think if you have it by next June you'll be good :)

Hi everyone,

Just completed our online citizenship forms :eek:
We sent for PCC from the UK on November 11th and it came back yesterday (Dec 10th) so we've applied for citizenship today.

I had to tell about my driving conviction earlier in the year since it said to state any driving offence where you had to attend court. Hopefully it won't make a difference to the application - intellectually I know it won't but it's still a worry :)

So now we wait for the appointment to do the citizenship test and have our documents inspected. In the mean time we can get our proof of identity done and we've already decided on someone who can do that for us (if he agrees :) ).

On the website they say it takes 12 weeks but we have Christmas and the holidays so I'm expecting it to take longer than that.

I'll let you know how we get on....

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck Karen. I know the waiting lists are longer now so I think if you have it by next June you'll be good :)
If that's the case then we'll have to apply for a RRV before we get citizenship. We're due to go to Fiji with Rotary International in May to build a shower block and help out with their school. And of course the website says that we can't be out of the country when they approve citizenship :) We'll just wait and see what happens closer to the time.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The variable in timing depends more on the council than DIAC. Within a few weeks of taking and passing the test DIAC forwards the list to your local council.

Then local council holds their ceremony, most councils do this on a monthly basis and do X number of people at a time (i.e. 100).

Give a call to your council and ask how many people they do and how many people are on the waiting list for future ceremonies, that can help give you an idea how long it would take to get your Citizenship certificate. You'll then need a week to get an AU passport on priority after you get your Citizenship certificate (you can do your PP appointment at the local post office the next business day if you want).

If that's the case then we'll have to apply for a RRV before we get citizenship. We're due to go to Fiji with Rotary International in May to build a shower block and help out with their school. And of course the website says that we can't be out of the country when they approve citizenship :) We'll just wait and see what happens closer to the time.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I'll check.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amaslam - That was a good tip about the council - thanks.

The council will contact us as soon as they get our citizenship certificates but they usually wait until they have 8 people for the citizenship ceremony. However individual ones can be held in some circumstances since we live in a regional area.

Their next scheduled ceremony is in early March but the processing centre (possibly Canberra) actually closes over Christmas and New Year which will delay things.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
OMG!!!!

How exciting. I'm dead jealous.......we've still got 2 years to go before we can apply! And I think you moved over 8 weeks or so before we did? .... sucks to be us :lol:

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG!!!!

How exciting. I'm dead jealous.......we've still got 2 years to go before we can apply! And I think you moved over 8 weeks or so before we did? .... sucks to be us :lol:

Dolly
But we validated our visa in 2005 and that's what makes the difference. It's counted from 2005 which is why we had to get a UK PCC again since it's considered that we were out of Australia from 2005 until 2007 when in fact we didn't move over until July 2007 :).

Hard to believe that we've been here nearly 2.5 years already!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
We missed the 1st July 2007 change in rules by about 6 weeks! Ho hum....

Yes I know.....2 1/2 years already. It is truly scary how time flies

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We already have a date for test appointment - January 6th in Adelaide. I rang to see if there is anywhere closer since that means travelling 440kms but they aren't doing many appointments in regional areas at the moment and it's either that or we go on a waiting list. So I guess we're travelling up to Adelaide for January 6th :)

They confirmed that it's 3 months application processing and then 3 - 6 after that for the citizen ceremonies so it can take up to 9 months! On the website it simply says 3 - 6 months..... If I had known that I would have applied a while back - oh well....

It seems strange that you can pass PCC, pass the citizenship test and then have to wait ages just to make a pledge.....

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
thats amazing karen, i still remember you completing 6 months in australia or was it one year and you said time flies.. :)
wish you luck with everything

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Satty,

We'll go for dual citizenship since it will be easier having a British passport to get into the UK and Europe. However I read something a while back that the security at UK airports was going to change such that you could only ever do one trip on one passport (so I couldn't leave here on my Aussie passport and then arrive in the UK and use my British passport), but we'll see what happens.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Karen:

Write an e-mail to the UK Consulate in Sydney and ask about the dual passports. They will provide a process where you can check-in and go through immigration smoothly on both ends. Print the reply and keep it with the passports.

I have the same situation with AU and US passports and US Consulate Sydney provided the procedure.

Here is that procedure and I would suspect the UK procedure should be similar:

To simplify it, When travelling out of Australia going to United Sates:
1. Show your Australian passport to the Airline staff in Australia who is going to give you your boarding pass, however you will need to show her/him your U.S. passport as well so this can be put on record that you are a citizen of the United States as well specially if you are travelling to the United States.
2. At the Customs area where you hand in the departure card, you will only need to hand your Australian passport to them.
3. At U.S. port of entry you show your U.S. passport

When travelling out of United States:
1. Show your American passport and your Australian passport to the Airline staff
2. U.S. immigration show your U.S. passport and Australian passport
3. At Australian port of entry show your Australian passport.

Hi Satty,

We'll go for dual citizenship since it will be easier having a British passport to get into the UK and Europe. However I read something a while back that the security at UK airports was going to change such that you could only ever do one trip on one passport (so I couldn't leave here on my Aussie passport and then arrive in the UK and use my British passport), but we'll see what happens.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Amaslam - I've just sent off an email.

The UK were meant to be implementing a new security system soon and that's what was going to cause the issue but when I hear from the consulate I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And here is my reply from the British High Commission....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You leave and enter Australia on your Australian passport and enter and leave UK on your British passport.Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the new security system isn't online yet. Oh well when we get to that stage we'll try it and see :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
And here is my reply from the British High Commission....

You leave and enter Australia on your Australian passport and enter and leave UK on your British passport.Thank you.

Maybe the new security system isn't online yet. Oh well when we get to that stage we'll try it and see :)
Hi Karen,

So far it seems as if the dual citizenship is ok, fingers x'd. Are you revising for your test. We went online and did the sample one. I'm just so glad it was a practice as we all failed... lol

Satty xx

·
Registered
3 Posts
We already have a date for test appointment - January 6th in Adelaide. I rang to see if there is anywhere closer since that means travelling 440kms but they aren't doing many appointments in regional areas at the moment and it's either that or we go on a waiting list. So I guess we're travelling up to Adelaide for January 6th :)

They confirmed that it's 3 months application processing and then 3 - 6 after that for the citizen ceremonies so it can take up to 9 months! On the website it simply says 3 - 6 months..... If I had known that I would have applied a while back - oh well....

It seems strange that you can pass PCC, pass the citizenship test and then have to wait ages just to make a pledge.....

---- For the Ceremony I was given a choice - to do one almost immediately - which is conducted by the mayor (I think) or wait for the BIG official one on australia day or some other occassion. I got mine at Parramatta, Sydney. The difference is that you don't get a tree sapling (! - funny but that's what I was told). So may be worthwhile to check it once again.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, you get a plant at the ceremony (for me it was a basil plant).

Usually the mayor does do the ceremony, it's nice :)

---- For the Ceremony I was given a choice - to do one almost immediately - which is conducted by the mayor (I think) or wait for the BIG official one on australia day or some other occassion. I got mine at Parramatta, Sydney. The difference is that you don't get a tree sapling (! - funny but that's what I was told). So may be worthwhile to check it once again.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are in a regional area so things are done differently here in that we don't have ceremonies very often since there isn't the need to do one.

Not sure what we would do with a tree sapling since our garden is fairly full already - that what comes of having a gardener for a husband :)

Regards,
Karen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts