Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a bit confused about application submission and lodgement. Is there any difference or both are different? I am an off-shore applicant.
I am concerned because of my upcoming birthday which may reduce my points. According to the ITA letter, I understood that I need to submit my application before my upcoming birthday so that my points (170) are locked.

Can somebody explain to me what are the stages, below is what I have understood so far:

EOI submission
EOI selection - every fortnightly
ITA - 4 months to apply
Application Submission by courier - for example, 30th September 2020.
Application Receipt - by courier may be a maximum of 10 days.
Lodgement - same as application submission and receipt or something different? and average how many days or months it takes to lodge the application?
CO Assignment - I saw that Jan 2019 is being assigned as of now.
Approval - maybe 18-24 months.

I know it's a long shot but I don't want to lose the opportunity. I am not in a hurry.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Yeah you've got the stages correct.

Submit EOI in to the EOI pool.
If the EOI has at least 160 points it will be automatically selected at the next fortnightly pull.
It then goes through Preliminary Checking to ensure the points are reasonable for what you are claiming for.
If it passes preliminary checking you will receive ITA.
You have 4 months to submit your formal application at the ITA stage.
Yes you would secure courier this ITA submission directly to the Immigration NZ office that handles this type of application for persons of your country.
Immigration will notify you when the ITA submission has been received - could take a few weeks.
This is when your ITA submission / formal application is lodged with INZ.
It then site there awaiting CO assignment which can take several months......huge delays at the moment due to previous delays and then results of Covid-19.

If your application does have points for a job offer then it is possible you could get an approval after a year - 18 months max. I'd hope it would be made a priority if there's a job offer involved and if this is the case you could also opt to apply for a temporary work visa in the interim which would allow you to come here more quickly and the SMRV would just tick away in the background.

If your application does not include points for an NZ job offer you WILL NOT be approved for this visa as it is mandatory that ALL principal applicants MUST have either:-
(i) an NZ permanent skilled job offer, OR
(ii) NZ qualifying skilled work experience, OR
(iii) NZ qualifying qualification study experience in a skilled occupation or that is related to a skilled occupation.
If you don't meet one of these is matters not what your EOI points are as you do not meet the criteria.
In this case the best you could hope for would be a 12 month job search visa that would allow the principal applicant only to come to NZ to get the all important permanent skilled job offer.

All this is subject to changes because of Covid-19.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
THanks for your reply.

During the EOI submission, it was written that I may qualify for a 12 month job search visa as I didn't have the job offer or education or experience in NZ.

While selecting me they knew that I am an off-shore applicant and I do not have the job offer or education or experience in NZ but still they selected me and invited to apply.

Now, I have completed all the documentation (PCCs, etc) and ready to submit my application. Medical is pending which I will do and it is very costly here, nearly 2500 NZ$ or the entire family.

My hope is that I may get a job search visa and I will only be given the visa, so why do I have to do medical for my entire family and all the hassles of PCC, etc. The ITA checklist specifies that medical is mandatory for each applicant.

I am not in a hurry as I can wait for the CO to be assigned as I have a job here. Immigration is strategic planning for the future of my kids. I am from India and I spent nearly 19 years in middle east and here there is no inclusion and there is no path for permenanct residency or citizenship and going back to India now is not feasible.

If I submit the application without medical, will they accept it as they already know that I don't have job offer or education or experience and hopefully eligible only for a job search visa?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Hi,
THanks for your reply.

During the EOI submission, it was written that I may qualify for a 12 month job search visa as I didn't have the job offer or education or experience in NZ.

While selecting me they knew that I am an off-shore applicant and I do not have the job offer or education or experience in NZ but still they selected me and invited to apply.

Now, I have completed all the documentation (PCCs, etc) and ready to submit my application. Medical is pending which I will do and it is very costly here, nearly 2500 NZ$ or the entire family.

My hope is that I may get a job search visa and I will only be given the visa, so why do I have to do medical for my entire family and all the hassles of PCC, etc. The ITA checklist specifies that medical is mandatory for each applicant.

I am not in a hurry as I can wait for the CO to be assigned as I have a job here. Immigration is strategic planning for the future of my kids. I am from India and I spent nearly 19 years in middle east and here there is no inclusion and there is no path for permenanct residency or citizenship and going back to India now is not feasible.

If I submit the application without medical, will they accept it as they already know that I don't have job offer or education or experience and hopefully eligible only for a job search visa?
No.
Immigration wont accept your submission without valid medical reports. They are mandatory for the visa you are applying for irrespective that you will not be approved and likely to get job search visa. You need to meet the conditions of the visa you are applying for and for all persons on the application.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No.
Immigration wont accept your submission without valid medical reports. They are mandatory for the visa you are applying for irrespective that you will not be approved and likely to get job search visa. You need to meet the conditions of the visa you are applying for and for all persons on the application.
Thanks for the clarification. My BMI is near to 32, so kind of dieting to go below 30 so I won't get a Grade B medical. My wife is 36 and it was shocking for me, she may go below 35 but it may take a long time to go below 30, will it affect my application? She doesn't have any other medical issues, it's extra post-delivery weight and pandemic binge eating.

Also, the new Zealand embassy in Riyadh denied giving me a letter for PCC saying that the borders are closed, I told them that I am not asking for any visa, it's just a requirement from the ministry of interior to issue the PCC but they won't listen. What are my options? Going directly to the ministry of interior is waste as they won't issue without an official letter. I was thinking of calling NZ immigration, maybe they can help?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. My BMI is near to 32, so kind of dieting to go below 30 so I won't get a Grade B medical. My wife is 36 and it was shocking for me, she may go below 35 but it may take a long time to go below 30, will it affect my application? She doesn't have any other medical issues, it's extra post-delivery weight and pandemic binge eating.

Also, the new Zealand embassy in Riyadh denied giving me a letter for PCC saying that the borders are closed, I told them that I am not asking for any visa, it's just a requirement from the ministry of interior to issue the PCC but they won't listen. What are my options? Going directly to the ministry of interior is waste as they won't issue without an official letter. I was thinking of calling NZ immigration, maybe they can help?
Having a high BMI may not necessarily affect your application. Because your BMI's are above the Immigration threshold it will be marked up on your medical report and the medical will be referred to a medical assessor (MA). Immigration cannot legally decline a visa application on health grounds unless they have been advised to decline by a suitably approved MA who's job it is to delve in to any issues further and establish whether or not you are likely to cost the NZ health system too much or not. They will just make sure there's no underlying issues that can cause whatever results are outside of the threshold limits and determine a dollar cost. They may ask for further medical tests (at your cost). They will determine a prognosis for you taking in to account, professional medical personnel consults, likely medication, any surgery or other side effects and they will calculate a dollar cost. If that cost is too high the MA will recommend a decline. If it is not too high they'll recommend there is likely no major issue and inform Immigration that there are no underlying health issues causing high BMI and as such are clear to pass that part of the process.
Of course, the best way to go about it is to not have the high BMI in the first place, lose weight, be more healthy and then have the medical later when you are healthier etc.

Have you been ordered to provide a PCC for your NZ visa application ?
Normally if one is required, INZ would formally request this from your own Ministry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a high BMI may not necessarily affect your application. Because your BMI's are above the Immigration threshold it will be marked up on your medical report and the medical will be referred to a medical assessor (MA). Immigration cannot legally decline a visa application on health grounds unless they have been advised to decline by a suitably approved MA who's job it is to delve in to any issues further and establish whether or not you are likely to cost the NZ health system too much or not. They will just make sure there's no underlying issues that can cause whatever results are outside of the threshold limits and determine a dollar cost. They may ask for further medical tests (at your cost). They will determine a prognosis for you taking in to account, professional medical personnel consults, likely medication, any surgery or other side effects and they will calculate a dollar cost. If that cost is too high the MA will recommend a decline. If it is not too high they'll recommend there is likely no major issue and inform Immigration that there are no underlying health issues causing high BMI and as such are clear to pass that part of the process.
Of course, the best way to go about it is to not have the high BMI in the first place, lose weight, be more healthy and then have the medical later when you are healthier etc.

Have you been ordered to provide a PCC for your NZ visa application ?
Normally if one is required, INZ would formally request this from your own Ministry.

I can go down to 29 BMI but for my wife it's a bit difficult. I will do ahead for the medical as soon as i reach below 30. We don't have any other medical issues.

Yes, I saw the checklist, PCC is required to be submitted with the application for myself and my wife. I got the Indian PCC through our embassy here within a week but to get the local PCC, the ministry of interior needs a letter from embassy of NZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts