Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I sold my house to come up with the money needed to satisfy the financial requirement (it's now been siting in a savings account for 6 months), I'm staying with various relatives until I'm ready to file for a fiance visa. My legal address is in New Jersey, but I'm currently near Buffalo, New York.

1: Does it matter what my address is on the return envelope for my passport and other original documents?

2: Does it matter what Application Support Center I use? (For instance, Elizabeth, NJ is the closest to my legal address, but Buffalo, NY office is closest to where I'm currently staying.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Since I sold my house to come up with the money needed to satisfy the financial requirement (it's now been siting in a savings account for 6 months), I'm staying with various relatives until I'm ready to file for a fiance visa. My legal address is in New Jersey, but I'm currently near Buffalo, New York.

1: Does it matter what my address is on the return envelope for my passport and other original documents?
Nope.

2: Does it matter what Application Support Center I use? (For instance, Elizabeth, NJ is the closest to my legal address, but Buffalo, NY office is closest to where I'm currently staying.
No, use the one that's closest to you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You will need to send your application packet directly to Sheffield and include the return packaging as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will need to send your application packet directly to Sheffield and include the return packaging as well.
And going from the above, it doesn't seem to matter where that return packet is addressed to. However, I think I read it has to at least be in my name, which will cause an issue if I have to use somebody else's mail post box that doesn't allow different names or care/of.

·
Registered
924 Posts
And going from the above, it doesn't seem to matter where that return packet is addressed to. However, I think I read it has to at least be in my name, which will cause an issue if I have to use somebody else's mail post box that doesn't allow different names or care/of.
Most people use express delivery, like FedEx, DHL, etc. because they don't want to wait for the regular mail. That also allows you a tracking number so you can know exactly when it arrives in Sheffield and when to be home for its delivery back to you. However, that does require a physical address, not a PO Box. It doesn't have to be your personal address, just somewhere there's someone to sign for it.

Reactions: Ashchula

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS to anyone reading this thread:

On or before 2 Oct 2013, Appendix FM-SE section 11A had 2 new paragraphs added, including a provision that if you own your house for over 6 months and sell it, you can use the profits of the sale immediately, instead of waiting 6 months...like I did (even though I thought it was dumb since I had the house for years, but read how strictly they pay attention to the financial requirement)...and hit 6 months...2 weeks before the new rule went into effect...:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.