Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in applying for British citizenship in addition to my current Australian citizenship.

I was born in 1988, too early for the 2006 amendments to citizenship laws and too old for application to be registered as a child.

I was born in Australia to a mother with Australian citizenship and a father who has retained his UK citizenship, though he has resided in Australia for around 30 years now. My parents did not marry though they were together for more than 20 years, which I think classifies them as a common law marriage under Australian law. My father's name is on my birth certificate and he quite happily acknowledges me as his child. I worked in the UK for around 10 months when I was 18 and my ancestry visa has only recently expired. I'd now like to apply for UK citizenship as I hope to move to the UK in December, after completing my uni degree, and intend to remain there.

There seems to be a lot of mixed information on websites but from what I can tell if there is strong evidence that my father actually admits to being my father then I have a chance, though it's apparently more or less on the whims of immigration officers. I'm sure my father would be willing to submit to a paternity test, though I feel like it's an insult to have to ask him, if necessary. My parents were happy together for longer than most marriages and chose to remain unmarried as they are both atheists and view marriage as a religious requirement. It seems unfair that my relationship with my father in considered less because of the lack of a certificate that meant nothing to my parents.

Anyway, if anyone could advise me on what steps I should take to gain citizenship I'd really appreciate it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.