Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me. Can I apply for Citizenship by Descent through my mother from WITHIN the U.K., or do I have to do it all from the U.S ? I am in a remote town on the Oregon coast and so would have nowhere to attend the Ceremony, or attain the biometrics. If I was in the U.K. I would be close to a center to take care of all that as ultimately I'm wanting to go and live with my brother and sister-in-law in south Wales.
I'm also confused as to whether I am already a U.K. Citizen through descent from my mother who was born in the U.K., and therefore only need apply for my British passport, or is that only the situation if it's your father who was born there. I do have my mother's British passport, birth certificate, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mother was born in 1918 in the U.K., I was born in South Africa in 1955 but have been a U.S. Citizen for many years and reside in the U.S.

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
You aren't automatically British from birth, as prior to 1983, nationality was only passed down from the father and for one generation only, and your parents had to be married. You can register as British (there is no fee except £80 for citizenship ceremony). You need to be 'of good character', i.e. you don't have serious criminal convictions (or if you have, they have since been spent). You can apply while living in US. You send your application to Liverpool, and if you are granted citizenship, you attend citizenship ceremony at the British consulate covering Oregon, which will be in San Francisco. If biometrics are required, there are done at an Application Support Center of USCIS located in each state. They should write to you with details of what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your response Joppa. Problem is, evidently San Francisco no longer serves the function of holding Ceremonies there anymore, and the same goes for LA, so I would have to potentially go to the east coast, DC or New York, which would be impossible for me as I'm fairly handicapped. So I've been trying to figure out a 'legal' and acceptable way around all these problems, but it's driving me quite batty as I just keep going around in circles about it all. That's why I finally realised that flying to the U.K. on my U.S. passport, getting a stamp for six months at Heathrow, then immediately submitting the UKM form with docs to Liverpool, that I could then do the Ceremony in Swansea, near to where I would be with my brother, and get the biometrics done there too. IF that was acceptable, it would solve a lot of the problems I would face here by being so remote and not being able to get around too well, but of course I don't want to violate any conditions by not applying from my country of origin, if that is mandatory like it would be if applying for a visa, say. Guess I'm hoping that applying for Citizenship by Descent has different circumstances that are acceptable. I've read dozens of your responses to people and would so appreciate it if a solution occurs to you, ...thanks again for your help !

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Who told you that you can't have citizenship ceremony at your nearest consulate? It's the nationality section in Liverpool that sends your certificate to your nearest consulate arrange your ceremony.
I suppose you can apply in UK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After having looked extensively for that info I read about ceremonies in SF and LA, I feel it was probably incorrect as it doesn't seem logical, so Joppa, I wonder if you could erase that part of my post as you're right, I can't confirm it and can't find one word anywhere on the subject of U.K. Ceremonies held in San Francisco or Los Angeles. I definitely don't want to mislead anyone, that's for sure. In my particular case though, being in Oregon, I would find it physically impossible to get myself there even if they did do them in SF, and so I have to find a different route. I have actually found a company called Philip Gamble who says I can start the process here as all they require at this stage are copies of docs, including my passport, then I could travel to the U.K. to finish off the application and would just have to continue to let them, Philip Gamble, know where I was so they could instruct me as to next steps, etc. Once I'm in the U.K. I would be glad to let them have my original U.S. passport until the process was completed. I'm thinking this is the way for me to accomplish everything as I will be with my brother who can get me around where ever I need to be. I just hope that this time I haven't forgotten about some detail that will prevent me doing it this way, which is what usually happens and I have to start again and re-think everything. Regardless, I will try to let you know how it finally works out as it might be of some help to someone, considering it would be a slightly unorthodox way of going about getting U.K. citizenship by Descent. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.