Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Indeed. Thank you for your advice & for putting some perspective to it. I would not want to offend anyone at the Consulate or make them feel I am challenging them.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
If you have married and/or have children, you should have had that registered with Nantes. Perhaps that is your starting point

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update to my French passport application. This was refused because they need the CNF. Being registered at the Consulate at birth where my mothers nationality was listed as French, being born to a French parent in the UK, having a French BC filed in Nantes is not enough, it does not automatically give me French nationality sadly. They quote article 5/decree 2005-1726 under the section for passports. The Consulate had previously told me I can apply for a passport.
It IS enough.

It was for me, although I did mine years ago.

My brother and sister, however, were in the same boat as you. The London consulate (a bunch of ***...) are a pain. They refuse all the time.

My bruv and sis got a French lawyer to write them a letter which they took to the consulate and (magically) they got their passports immediately!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you very much! I will google the Avocat. I did find an avocat a while back to handle the CNF but he said it would take up to 3 years so I decided not to use him as it was no different if I did it myself. I have all docs already as I did my French family tree and if he needed documentation from my fathers side (born in Cyprus), records are difficult to get without personal contacts in the right places and some are non existent apart from Church records.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you have married and/or have children, you should have had that registered with Nantes. Perhaps that is your starting point
It is a bit of a chicken and an egg situation. I tried that because I thought that should be the 1st thing to do, got marriage/divorce docs officially translated to French by an approved translator, sent it off + other docs (proof of ID & address etc) to the Consulate in London, all sent back with a note saying they cannot update the civil register without a copy of a French passport or ID card or the CNF. So then I thought I would apply for a passport, esp as the Consulate already told me I can directly apply and they said it can be in my maiden name as long as I can provide the paper trail for proof of ID & address in current name. So yes I have been spinning my wheels for a while. I thought if I had the passport at least in my maiden name, then I can again ask for the civil register to be updated.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It IS enough.

It was for me, although I did mine years ago.

My brother and sister, however, were in the same boat as you. The London consulate (a bunch of ***...) are a pain. They refuse all the time.

My bruv and sis got a French lawyer to write them a letter which they took to the consulate and (magically) they got their passports immediately!
According to what I have heard, the London consulate was great and very responsive before Brexit reared its ugly head and provoked a flood of applications.

·
Registered
141 Posts
According to what I have heard, the London consulate was great and very responsive before Brexit reared its ugly head and provoked a flood of applications.
That could well be the case. That said, there's no need to deny nearly everyone who applies, as seems what is happening.

My last dealings with the London consulate was in 1974! Since then, Amsterdam and now Brussels.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
That could well be the case. That said, there's no need to deny nearly everyone who applies, as seems what is happening.

My last dealings with the London consulate was in 1974! Since then, Amsterdam and now Brussels.
We have no idea how many applications are being refused especially since on forums such as this and social media you generally only hear from people who have encountered problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As an update for anyone interested. I did ask an avocat in Paris whether they thought the decision made by the French Consulate was correct and they said they disagreed with it and prepared a document which was emailed to the French Consulate in London and after waiting over a month, no reply. Maybe this is not long, but in my experience if you get no reply after waiting that long, they are rejecting the appeal.

It's hard to understand why the passport application failed. I have a French birth certificate, it was registered at the Consulate at the time of my birth where I was applying for a passport, the Consulate told me I can directly apply for a passport and they gave me all the instructions on how to do it, I got a copy of my French BC from Nantes, my mother lives and is in France, never lost her nationality which is mentioned on my BC. But I can still move to France as I have a spouse with EU citizenship and of my course my mother and try to get a CNF whilst there. Or I can try to get an EU passport by descent on my fathers side which will be quicker/easier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi and it was interesting to read your post and updates. I managed to obtain my french nationality documents through paternal descent from the London consulate, and on reading many on here it seems I was lucky not to be advised to go through the CNF route. Although that is the route I am currently taking so that I can pass on the nationality. I do know that I asked a question by email of the London consulate over a month ago regarding use of translators and am yet to receive a reply (I have since found the answer on the blogs here). Also, correspondence concerning my CNF from France was sent to the London consulate in April (2021), and it was not posted on to me by the consulate until August! I can only assume from this that since Brexit, France have probably reduced the staffing levels. I also suspect that the workload from British people has drastically increased too (given the implications of Brexit).

Therefore - I would not read too much into you not receiving a response from the London consulate. I suspect that they have a pile in the in-tray that does not get any attention unless they consider it really really urgent. Perhaps it would be better to book an appointment on-line for a passport application and bring all the documents required, including the letter from the advocate with you, so that it grabs their attention ?

·
Administrator
51,951 Posts
From personal experience I can verify that the consulates are not always "up to the minute" on current procedures or regulations related to nationality or immigration. Added to the fact that procedures can and do vary from one consulate (or other government office) to the next.

It used to be the case that you had to present a carte nationale d'identité to get a new passport - and to get a CNI you often had to present a CNF if you weren't born in France (or some other variation on that theme). However you decide to proceed, be prepared for some procedural glitches like these - and be prepared to offer "alternative" documents if applicable. In general, just try to make the official's job as easy as possible and very often you can negotiate around whatever the roadblock may be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I already went to the Consulate for the passport application, they checked my paperwork couple of times before I even reached the person who handled the application. They had already told me by email what I needed which I brought along with me and they took copies of all of my docs. Some were officially translated.

However a couple of days after I posted here saying I had no reply, the avocat did receive an acknowledgement email from the Consulate so we will see what the final outcome of that will be. Indeed I might indeed have to go to the Consulate again and at some point, I will also need to apply for the CNF in order to pass on the nationality but I do not want to wait up to 3 years for it to be issued just so I can get a passport. I have another (easier, hopefully ) route to an EU passport from my fathers side so that would let me visit longterm/live in France & be closer to my elderly mother. plus be able to stay in other EU countries without the Schengen restrictions.

Indeed, it is my experience that Consulate procedures do very from one country to another and that they are not always up to date with procedures. I worked in a visa department many years ago in Russia. I have lots of documents already if needed, e.g. official copies of birth certificates of French grandparents/great grandparents and their marriage certificates, etc. The avocat handling my case has checked all my docs & situation and believes that I should have been issued with a national ID card and a passport and his specialty is visas, immigration etc and that going down the route of the CNF should not be necessary. So the story is not over yet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So the Consulate replied finally and quoted Article 30-3:-
Lorsqu'un individu réside ou a résidé habituellement à l'étranger, où les ascendants dont il tient par filiation la nationalité sont demeurés fixés pendant plus d'un demi-siècle, cet individu ne sera pas admis à faire la preuve qu'il a, par filiation, la nationalité française si lui-même et celui de ses père et mère qui a été susceptible de la lui transmettre n'ont pas eu la possession d'état de Français.

So I thinking this is the end of the road for me since I have never lived in France and whether it makes any difference that my mother has always lived in France except for about 12 years which was more than 60+ years ago. She still lives so I will try to get a copy of her carte d'identite and whilst we are at it, the livret de famille. Same with both sets of grandparents and great grandparents, they always lived in France.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, that makes no sense given your mother whom I assume you are taking your French nationality from still lives in France and has only had a short spell outside of France. My understanding is that your lack of habitual residence MUST be coupled with that of your parent whom you are taking nationality from also not so residing or having possession of state. Both parts must apply for this to be applicable. I’d contact that advocate of yours if I was in your position. I’m sure you may have to go down the CNF route to prove it though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi, that makes no sense given your mother whom I assume you are taking your French nationality from still lives in France and has only had a short spell outside of France. My understanding is that your lack of habitual residence MUST be coupled with that of your parent whom you are taking nationality from also not so residing or having possession of state. Both parts must apply for this to be applicable. I’d contact that advocate of yours if I was in your position. I’m sure you may have to go down the CNF route to prove it though.
Thank you for your reply, yes it is from my mother that I am trying to take French nationality.

Indeed this saga makes no sense to me, I'm pretty sure I will be pushed down the CNF route and have most paperwork already in preparation but will need to get a copy of my mothers carte d'identite and/or passport & proof that she has been living in France for over 50 years (not sure how I can do this but hope she can provide this proof.)

When I originally applied for a French passport, I took a recent copy of my mothers birth certificate and the Consulate took a copy of it, it does not show any loss of nationality in the marginal info so they already know that but the avocat has a final appeal prepared to tell them the 50 year rule does not apply, although I don't feel it will make any difference. And my own French BC mentions the nationality of my mother as French.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I believe you have to go the CNF route, unless you are a minor, that's what the law states, quite specifically. The only exception would be if your birth was registered in France and you have maintained contact with the French administration, even if just keeping your passport up to date, voting, renewing your carte d'identité, that sort of thing. . However if you apply from within France the application is processed by your local Tribunal d'instance and is processed much faster, but you have to be resident in France to do that.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts