Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just in the process of ordering my grandparents birth certificates from the UK, the company wants to know if I need the documents to have Apostille Stamp Service, and they explain: Please indicate whether you need this certificate to be certified for use overseas. The process of obtaining an Apostile is called Legalisation.

Any idea if I need this extra service?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, since I am ordering these long form certificates from the UK for my grandparents, do you think it would be ok to send a photocopy of my mum's original birth certificate? She found it in a drawer but does not want to part with the original...for my ancestry, they are mostly concerned with grandparents right? So I am hoping a photocopy of mum's will be ok...

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Also, since I am ordering these long form certificates from the UK for my grandparents, do you think it would be ok to send a photocopy of my mum's original birth certificate? She found it in a drawer but does not want to part with the original...for my ancestry, they are mostly concerned with grandparents right? So I am hoping a photocopy of mum's will be ok...
First, apostille won't be needed for UK documents.

Secondly, all documents must be originals. They will be returned if accompanied by photocopy. If your mother doesn't want to be parted from her certificate, you just have to order another. Go direct to General Register Office at Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service. If she was born in Scotland, then to Scottish Register Office at General Register Office for Scotland - Family Records - How to Order an Official Extract

You do need your mother's certificate (plus your own) to trace direct ancestry (lineage) to your UK-born grandparent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.