Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give assistance on the particulars of the following apartments that were given to me as choices of accommodations.

Al Barsha,
Jumeirah Lake Towers,
Discovery Garderns,
Motorcity
IMPZ

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can anyone give assistance on the particulars of the following apartments that were given to me as choices of accommodations.

Al Barsha,
Jumeirah Lake Towers,
Discovery Garderns,
Motorcity
IMPZ

Of all the above I would choose Barsha if very near to Mall of Emirates and in a decent building, or JLT.

Motorcity if you work near here and you plan to get a car as soon as you arrive would be another decent option also.

Discovery gardens and IMPZ are much more lower end compared to the others so would avoid.

Check thougly the "Ultimate Guide to renting an apartment in Dubai" rather than starting a new thread for valuable advice

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
ziokendo said:
Of all the above I would choose Barsha if very near to Mall of Emirates and in a decent building, or JLT.

Motorcity if you work near here and you plan to get a car as soon as you arrive would be another decent option also.

Discovery gardens and IMPZ are much more lower end compared to the others so would avoid.

Check thougly the "Ultimate Guide to renting an apartment in Dubai" rather than starting a new thread for valuable advice
I would second that - Barsha or JLT. My impression is that JLT is a bit more expensive than Barsha, but that probably depends on the building as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would second that - Barsha or JLT. My impression is that JLT is a bit more expensive than Barsha, but that probably depends on the building as well.
The buildings very near to the metro are more expensive in JLT, most ones on the other end of the "lakes" seems to come by very cheap, due to the big over-supply (with also further new buildings due for completition), but then it also depends on the tower.

The risk of living in one of those in this case is always the same, if the prices goes too low the tenant mix will go for the worse and also the owner will be discouraged to cover the service charges, if the developer does not care the building will run down very quickly, I have seen some towers in JLT that after 2 or 3 years are already unbearable, dirty elevators, cracks everywhere, dirty walls, destroyed gyms, empty pools, etc. Others are still perfectly mantained and well inhabited.

But being Dubai a market where people rent on 1 year basis and are willing to change apts very easily, it's not a big risk on the tenant side.

Barsha is a more estabilished zone with a lot of littler buildings, so it really depends on a case by case basis, but I like the feel of some zones which are bustling with life and well mantained, full of local shops in the nearbys, etc, while most JLT clusters are still developing a character, if they will ever have one.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You're more likely to have a pool and gym in your building in JLT than you are in Barsha.
When I was new (and naive and trusting) in Dubai, I rented my first apartment in Barsha. I believed an agent who said "the pool will be filled in two weeks". I stayed in that building for one year, saw the rent plummet from 80K for one bed to 50K for one bed, saw the tenants change from singles/couples to 5 salespeople to a flat, but the swimming pool never got filled :D

I was not driving in my first year here, and found it very convenient to walk to the MOE, later walk to the metro when it opened, and have all kinds of shops and restaurants in my building and all around me. The view was pretty okay as well. If I didnt have a kid, I would move back. However, I notice that the traffic in the evenings if one has to take the exit 39 from SZR to Barsha is getting worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.