Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will soon be moving into Dubai with my wife and a 2 year old. We are looking for a 2BHK apartment place (lower floor) and the communities that I have shortlisted are as follows:

1. The Greens and View
2. The Lofts (Downtown Dubai)
3. Tecom Apartments
4. Business Bay Area
5. Marina Area
6. JLT

My office is around the Airport and I have a budget of AED 100-110K.

While I understand that JLT and Marina are at the far end of Dubai which means longer commute to work, but I am curious to know which of these communities will be a better value for money i.e. amenities, quality of construction, outdoor playing area for kids, pool, kinder garden schools etc.

Additionally, in terms of the utilities (water/electricity), does the DEWA bills vary by communities, provided everything is constant i.e. usage, apartment size etc.

How much is the typical monthly bill on TV/Internet/Mobile?

Du or Etisalat?

Is there anything additional I need to know before I finalize an apartment place?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Give very careful consideration to the reality of apartment living with a toddler. We recently suffered a fire evacuation at 1.30 in the morning due to a kitchen fire, and trying to carry 2 children down 14 flights of stairs whilst being pushed in the back by a panicking mob is not an experience you ever want to have. High rise fires happen far more often than you would like in this city and you must be prepared to have to deal with that on top of the more obvious dangers of high rise living.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I do agree that's something to be considered.

In fact that is one of the reasons I am looking at the lower floor apartments. I believe Greens community has only got 4-5 floors.

I wish I could afford villa but that currently seems out of budget and moreover given it's just 2 adults and a toddler, I don't think I need all that space (villa).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not sure The Lofts will be available with your budget, I have just taken a two bed for 140k, so its a bit more than you are looking to spend. Used to live in the Greens which was nice, and good for families, but again those prices were rising at the beginning of October, presume they still are.

Look at Dubai Real Estate, Dubai Property, Abu Dhabi Properties For Sale - propertyfinder.ae if you haven't already, give you an idea of the sort of rents you will be asked for.

Bill wise, I pay about 700dhs per month for my Du but that is with a good broadband speed and all the sports and English language TV channels.

I believe DEWA is the same for all communities, although there is a 'Housing Fee' which changes depending on the number of bedrooms or the square footage of the residence I believe.

You will find chiller charges need to be added on top of most places, although EMAAR properties on the whole are included.

Hope that helps somewhat, good luck with the move!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts