Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone know of any rental agencies that specialize in long term rentals for expats...specifically those who are willing to take US investments and salary into consideration? I am not looking for short term or furnished rentals, but a long term unfurnished place.

My fiance is French and has all his paperwork for the "dossier" they ask for, but I've been told that it is as if my money doesn't count because it is not linked to a French company :tape2:....the issue is I make more than he does, and I will be paying for the apartment too.

I'm about to go crazy with this apartment search so any advice from those who have been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
The only rental agencies that cater to "foreigners" are the ones that handle short-term (and furnished) rentals - mostly in Paris. Because France doesn't have the "credit rating agencies" they do in the US and North America, your credit worthiness is assessed by your bank and by the landlords individually. And for them, the only "sure" source of income is one coming through a French bank, especially those from French sources.

You may be limited to renting something that your fiancé is able to afford, at least until you get set up in France and have a tax declaration or bank statement (from a French bank) or two to "prove" your credit worthiness. (Most French landlords require a standing order paid from a French bank as it is. They can't get at your US banks or financial institutions from France, which is the key issue.)

It might help if you arranged for a French bank account, along with a regular (monthly) transfer of funds to that account to "show" a potential landlord.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
344 Posts
When my husband and I were buying our flat my income was not linked to a French company. However, our bank statements showed my steady income (bank transfers from the UK company I was working for at the time). So the bank was satisfied with that and ok'd our credit.

As Bev said, get yourself a French bank account, it will take time of course to show steady bank transfers as income but the French bank account is the first step.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hey all,

Does anyone know of any rental agencies that specialize in long term rentals for expats...specifically those who are willing to take US investments and salary into consideration? I am not looking for short term or furnished rentals, but a long term unfurnished place.

My fiance is French and has all his paperwork for the "dossier" they ask for, but I've been told that it is as if my money doesn't count because it is not linked to a French company :tape2:....the issue is I make more than he does, and I will be paying for the apartment too.

I'm about to go crazy with this apartment search so any advice from those who have been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated!!!
Depending on what you are looking for, this post might be of interest http://www.expatforum.com/expats/france-expat-forum-expats-living-france/1328906-thoughts-visale-actionlogement-my-first-rent-paris.html#post13203850

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
If your fiance is French, does he not have any family in France that could act as a guarantor !!!

If so, just use your income as a guarantor for the guarantor. Does that makes sense ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - yes, we are actually in the market to buy something as I was told it was easier and I did find a mortgage company that will take my US investments into account - now the only sticky part is the apartment rental in the meantime...the French bank account is a great idea - will look into this asap!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Find a supportive French bank willing to issue you a guarantee to a prospective landlord/agent. Of course you'll have to deposit a year's rent into a (low) interest bearing escrow account that you won't be able to touch for the life of your lease...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found my apartment in Normandy with Foncia. The process was fairly quick altough they required a staggering amount of paperwork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts