Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, finally, in two months time I am moving to Spain, to - hopefully - happily spend the last years of my life. And I wonder if I have overlooked something that can go wrong, and in this case, what would it be and how likely would it be that it hapens?

1.I am a retiree, so I have income, sufficient to live on in the expensive Sweden, and Spain is at least 30% cheaper, so no problem here?

2. I will not miss friends and family - I have moved a lot in my life and never missed it and most of my friends are now virtual. Facebook is a great tool to keep in touch with long ago and far away. As family goes I have only one and very busy daughter, who lives in the USA and whom I am not counting on seeing even once a year now that I am getting too old to endure flying there. (Living in the USA is not an option - it has far too expensive health care and Medicare might become even lousier due to republicans). Besides Spain is closer to USA than Sweden, so no problem there?

3. I plan on renting, not buying, so nothing can go wrong with title - and I shall use an abogado to review the long term renting contract, so no problem there?

4. As an EU country national and a retiree I will be covered by Spanish public health care, and can also use Swedish one, if needed and should I so choose, due to new Swedish regulations. So if nurses and nursemaids care in Spain is inadequate I can either pay someone (in lieu of nonexistent relatives) or go to any hospital in Sweden, so no problem there?

5. My Spanish is not as good as it should and SHALL be - chronologically it is my 7th language and I started to learn it later in life, when I unfortunately got lazier, but I lived and managed in some Spanish speaking countries (like almost two years on the island of Puerto Rico, a few months in Costa Rica, Spain, Mexico) and managed the basics relatively well, so no problem there?

6. I already need a host of services in daily life (due to diabetic neuropathy and arthritis), mainly household services, like cleaning, small household repairs, sometimes grocery shopping and cooking, but my budget includes up to 15-20 hours of household help per week at decent prices (right now I can well manage with ca 4 hours/week most weeks), and in the future I might opt for at least semi-luxury retirement housing with more services built in, and these do exist in Spain with expats as clientele, so no problems there?

7. I know bureaucracy in Spain is, to say the least, irritating, but I have lived in Spanish speaking countries which have Spanish type bureaucracy, so I am used to it, and I can hire help to deal with bureaucracy anyway, so no problems there?

8. I am used to tropics and semi tropics, heat does not bother me if I have ac, (I got used to over 40 C weather in both Texas and Georgia) worse with cold and wet, but I am prepared to move from the mainland Spainto the Canaries if need be, but would want to do more extensive sightseeing in Spain proper first, so no problems there?

You see any problems anywhere, that I do not see? Would be grateful for pointing them to me, so I can consider and prepare. Thanks

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Seems like you're all set to Enjoy Life.
I'd just say, although I'm sure you know due to all your experience...

• Find out about local festivals. You probably don't want to be too close to where they are held
  • Find out about transport
  • Find out about temperatures and the orientation of your house/ flat

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh, yes, important points.

Local festivals. Once in Puerto Rico I had a flat over a local beach. 3rd story, fabulous 180 degree views, very quiet area for most of the time, except when there were major holidays, and all the locals camped on the beach. With VERY loud music Thursday-Sunday, totally oblivious to the needs of people who lived there. I have never been that close to becoming a mass murderer, or at least a murderer of all the boom boxes, luckily I had no gun. This time I reserved a flat between the river and beach dunes - no beach closer than 300 meters and the yacht harbor with some festivities about 1 km away.

Transport. 750 m to the nearest grocery store (MasyMas while I much prefer Mercadona, but one can't have it all, sigh), about the same distance to the best ? seafood restaurant in town, 1.5 km to city center and bus terminal, with frequent buses to both Alicante and Torrevieja. There is a local minibus circling around town with a stop less than 100 meters from my building.

Thanks for sharing.

Orientation The flat face straight south, but it has a large (ca 24 m2) roofed terass, to shield the windows from the sun. And it has an a/c and heating.

So I should be set. But if not I can cancel the contract after 6 months and look for another place.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
One important thing. Check out your tax situation. You may be better off as I think Sweden is a high tax country but best to make sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Isobella

TAX situation including double taxation treaties is the FIRST THING I ever check. My major income is from the USA, and only secondary from Sweden, so the taxation in Spain is not optimal for me, due to the double taxation treaty between USA and Sweden. From tax point of view I would be better off in Portugal, which also is cheaper than Spain. But, considering all pluses and minuses I chose Spain. However, if the tax and the cost of services in Spain rise significantly I am prepared to reconsider and head for Madeira (which I like) instead of Canaries, which I haven't even visited yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts