Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was the last day in Mexico City, near the Ángel in Insurgentes.

It was a really big, really colourful festival with the presence of 75 countries. Every country had its stand and had a selection of their history, culture, food and turistic options for the public to go and know a bit more about them. With +/- a million and a half people attending, I wondered if someone from this forum went.

Every country sold their particular kinds of food and everyone was very friendly. I even had the oportunity to briefly talk in my horrible french with one of the gentlemen in the France stand and to ask some questions about Hungary to the lady selling their delicious food hehehe

I wanted to post a youtube video of the event for the people that couldn't go but I'm still not allowed but if you google some images of the festival you can see the stands and the people.

So, anyone went?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

It was a really big, really colourful festival with the presence of 75 countries. Every country had its stand and had a selection of their history, culture, food and turistic options for the public to go and know a bit more about them. With +/- a million and a half people attending, I wondered if someone from this forum went.

Every country sold their particular kinds of food and everyone was very friendly. I even had the oportunity to briefly talk in my horrible french with one of the gentlemen in the France stand and to ask some questions about Hungary to the lady selling their delicious food hehehe

I wanted to post a youtube video of the event for the people that couldn't go but I'm still not allowed but if you google some images of the festival you can see the stands and the people.

So, anyone went?
Doesn't a similar event take place in Chapala area? I think I read about it somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
Doesn't a similar event take place in Chapala area? I think I read about it somewhere.
This is the fourth year for this event in Mexico City. Mayor Ebrard started it the year of the flu epidemic to promote the city as a wonderful place to visit, and it has become a very popular event. Not every country had typical food on sale, but there was enough variety to satisfy anyone looking for an exotic lunch. One day I had a Serbian speciality, some kind of yummy sausage with salad, and another day I had really good Thai food, something that's hard to find here. It was catered by a Thai restaurant in Condesa, not too far from where I live, so I'm planning a visit soon. I also had a piece of delicious nut and raisin cake from Russia. This is the time of year I have to buy several birthday gifts, so I had fun shopping on one afternoon, both for my sister and a good friend and also for myself!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the fourth year for this event in Mexico City. Mayor Ebrard started it the year of the flu epidemic to promote the city as a wonderful place to visit, and it has become a very popular event. Not every country had typical food on sale, but there was enough variety to satisfy anyone looking for an exotic lunch. One day I had a Serbian speciality, some kind of yummy sausage with salad, and another day I had really good Thai food, something that's hard to find here. It was catered by a Thai restaurant in Condesa, not too far from where I live, so I'm planning a visit soon. I also had a piece of delicious nut and raisin cake from Russia. This is the time of year I have to buy several birthday gifts, so I had fun shopping on one afternoon, both for my sister and a good friend and also for myself!
I wish I could have bought as much as Isla Verde, but I went with 2 people and between the 3 of us we had around 250 pesos. However, the event was very enjoyable.

And could you share the details of that Thai restaurant? :tongue1:

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
I wish I could have bought as much as Isla Verde, but I went with 2 people and between the 3 of us we had around 250 pesos. However, the event was very enjoyable.

And could you share the details of that Thai restaurant? :tongue1:
Next year you'll know to bring more money with you!;).

Here's the info about the restaurant:

Pad Thai, Av. Sonora 49-1, Col. Condesa, tel: 5256-4518

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thank you Quetza for posting this. I love these festivals, and will add next year's to my long term calendar. We attended one recently near Juraquilla and had a fabulous time. Thank you also for ferreting out the information on the Thai restaurant. Thai food is a family favorite, but we've not had good Thai since we left Alaska. Hmm...that sounds odd, doesn't it, but it is true. Alaska is quite the melting pot for a great many ethnic groups.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts

So, anyone went?
Last edited by Quetza; Yesterday at 08:53 PM. Reason: Ortographic mistakes

Quetza, Please believe me, this is not meant to criticize your work. On the contrary, you might be one of the most perfectly bilingual members of the forum. I chuckled when I read your "ortographic mistakes" comment, as I thought you had done it intentionally as a tee-hee. I shared it with my wife and she took it as an opportunity to enlighten her poor, barely literate husband. Apparently, this is one of those words that we Gringos throw an extra H into, making it orthography. Your spelling was correct in what my wife calls the Mother Tongue. I apologize for my mis-read, but, since I considered it intentional, it was actually a compliment to your good humor, so, no harm done, no?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does seem weird to me that Alaska aeems to be such a good place for thai food (I have problems to associate Alaska with anything that isn't cold weather stuff in my head )

Oh, true! That's... a bit embarassing, so what about we assume that I actually did it as a joke and take it as an example of my amazing good humor? ;) No harm done at all!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Last edited by Quetza; Yesterday at 08:53 PM. Reason: Ortographic mistakes

Quetza, Please believe me, this is not meant to criticize your work. On the contrary, you might be one of the most perfectly bilingual members of the forum. I chuckled when I read your "ortographic mistakes" comment, as I thought you had done it intentionally as a tee-hee. I shared it with my wife and she took it as an opportunity to enlighten her poor, barely literate husband. Apparently, this is one of those words that we Gringos throw an extra H into, making it orthography. Your spelling was correct in what my wife calls the Mother Tongue. I apologize for my mis-read, but, since I considered it intentional, it was actually a compliment to your good humor, so, no harm done, no?
Duh, I thought orthography had to due with maps or birds or sump'in. Duh.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
:boom: Well, excuuuuuse me!!!!!

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me the word for the fear of the number 13?

Class, Buehler, Buehler? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
:boom: Well, excuuuuuse me!!!!!

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me the word for the fear of the number 13?

Class, Buehler, Buehler? :)
Here you are: Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris meaning "3", kai meaning "and", deka meaning "10" and phobia meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is fear of the number 13; it is a superstition and related to a specific fear of Friday the 13th, called paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia.

Triskaidekaphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.