Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My wife and I are just starting the process of applying, but we are interested in finding costs involved with shipping a container to Australia. If it is too expensive, we will just need to slowly start getting rid of our things over the next 2 years.

I have contacted some moving companies, and they are a bit out of our league.

Now I have heard that one can get a freight forwarder to do the job for you. What they do is they back a 20ft container up to your house. You arrange or DIY the packing yourself and the same goes for when it arrives on the other side. Apparently this works out a LOT cheaper. I'm not one to shy away from hard work to save some money, so I'm very interested in this option.

My problem: I'm struggling to actually find companies that offer this service
Is there anyone that has used this type of company?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi guys,

My wife and I are just starting the process of applying, but we are interested in finding costs involved with shipping a container to Australia. If it is too expensive, we will just need to slowly start getting rid of our things over the next 2 years.

I have contacted some moving companies, and they are a bit out of our league.

Now I have heard that one can get a freight forwarder to do the job for you. What they do is they back a 20ft container up to your house. You arrange or DIY the packing yourself and the same goes for when it arrives on the other side. Apparently this works out a LOT cheaper. I'm not one to shy away from hard work to save some money, so I'm very interested in this option.

My problem: I'm struggling to actually find companies that offer this service
Is there anyone that has used this type of company?
I have a container arriving on July 28, just a couple more days. The container is 40 feet, and cost $3900 to ship from Los Angeles California, and arrival fees will be another $2,000, by the time we get it through AQIS, Customs etc...

Try the following link,
Listing of all freight carriers - SendMyFreight.com.au

Cheers,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Who did you use?

Hi

Just wondering what company you are shipping with. As your price is MUCH lower than the bids I have been getting. All from LA to Sydeny 40 foot- my bids have not been under $19,000 USD

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts