Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Anyone teaching English in Portugal?

16K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  swedeinus 
#1 ·
This seems like a logical idea in order for one to live abroad in Portugal. I need to obtain a TEFL certificate first which stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Has anyone ever done this before or have any inside info?

Many Thanks

Will

#2 ·
[ My daughter teaches English in Portugal at a private schoo. She did go to the univ of Portugal and received a certificate, but it did not take long at all. She is teaching in Torres Novas, a small town about an hour or so north of Lisbon, she did notice that the wages really varied depending on which school she taught at.
Apparently they would rather have English teachers that English is their first language. I don't know what the requirements are for teaching in a public school.
Hope this helps a bit
Diane
QUOTE=LumaDaylight;213595]This seems like a logical idea in order for one to live abroad in Portugal. I need to obtain a TEFL certificate first which stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Has anyone ever done this before or have any inside info?

Many Thanks

Will[/QUOTE]

#4 ·
do you know what program your daughter received her certificate from?

[ My daughter teaches English in Portugal at a private schoo. She did go to the univ of Portugal and received a certificate, but it did not take long at all. She is teaching in Torres Novas, a small town about an hour or so north of Lisbon, she did notice that the wages really varied depending on which school she taught at.
Apparently they would rather have English teachers that English is their first language. I don't know what the requirements are for teaching in a public school.
Hope this helps a bit
Diane
QUOTE=LumaDaylight;213595]This seems like a logical idea in order for one to live abroad in Portugal. I need to obtain a TEFL certificate first which stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. Has anyone ever done this before or have any inside info?

Many Thanks

Will
[/QUOTE]

#3 ·
Hi, I got my TEFL at International House back in 1999 and it cost about 2000 euros for a one month extensive course; it was quite worth it however. This certificate allows you to teach in private institutes; to get into the public system is another story; you require a state diploma. I find the market is quite competitive now and demand for English has dwindled; it could be effects of the current economic conditions.

#5 ·
teaching in portugal

Hello,

I am living in Portugal and I've been teaching here for 4 years now. If you want to get any certificate I highly recommend you get the CELTA certificate which is a Cambridge Certified Certificate which most schools will ask for. I went to a school in Lisbon to get my certificate (International House) and they have other certificates that you can get as well. You can do a one month, full time course, or a part time 6 month course. Its pretty intense fulltime, but it gets done a lot faster! You can also do an online TEFL course, but its not really necessary if you have the CELTA.
If you have any other quesitons about working here let me know.

Hope I've helped.
Take care.

#6 ·
What is the range of pay one can expect teaching English with this certificate? Is it possible to find a decently paid job in a reasonably affordable place to live? Are jobs available anywhere in the country?

Thanks.

Hello,

I am living in Portugal and I've been teaching here for 4 years now. If you want to get any certificate I highly recommend you get the CELTA certificate which is a Cambridge Certified Certificate which most schools will ask for. I went to a school in Lisbon to get my certificate (International House) and they have other certificates that you can get as well. You can do a one month, full time course, or a part time 6 month course. Its pretty intense fulltime, but it gets done a lot faster! You can also do an online TEFL course, but its not really necessary if you have the CELTA.
If you have any other quesitons about working here let me know.

Hope I've helped.
Take care.

#7 ·
Pay varies massively depending on whether you're working at public or private school and also as to what qualifications you've got - for instance if you've done a CELTA you'll command more than someone who hasn't done a TEFL course. Rough ball-park figure is 700 to 1000 euros per month though.

Good luck!

#11 ·
Pay in Spain, for most jobs is poor, however, the job situation in Spain is terrible. I think its one of the countries causing concern "The PIGS" they call it in the news Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain. So for now, Spain is showing no signs of recovery - on the contrary, things are predicted to get worse?????? but who knows

Jo xxx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.