Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

We are off to Melbourne in February and are looking into getting our parents skype phones and webcams. We havent used any of these before so just wondering if anyone can recommend any? Our parents are a bit technophobic so something simple would be great! We're not sure about price either - around £30 for each.

Thanks
LP x

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Hi Guys

We are off to Melbourne in February and are looking into getting our parents skype phones and webcams. We havent used any of these before so just wondering if anyone can recommend any? Our parents are a bit technophobic so something simple would be great! We're not sure about price either - around £30 for each.

Thanks
LP x
If you go to Curry's or comet you will find a range of Skype compliant webcams and phones. Or you can buy them off the SKYPE site. I think my web cam cost about £30 on it's own but they may have come down a bit now.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi LP,

I tend to buy logitech web camera kit that comes with a headphones and mic too. Can't remember how much it was but it was a pretty good deal with the headset as well and I always use the headset when I'm on skype.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Guys

Thanks
LP x
You might want to check Desktop Internet Phone for Skype from Belkin. There is also another Skype Wi-Fi Phone from Belkin

Product Link:- Belkin : Desktop Internet Phone for Skype

Belkin's Desktop Internet Phone for Skype allows you to make unlimited free phone calls to other Skype users without a computer. It also lets you call people who use traditional phone systems -using SkypeOut- at a drastically reduced rates compared to standard phone services.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! will take a look at your suggestions. its hard to know what to buy when i've never even used one before! Are the headsets good quality?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
We just bought a webcam for about 15 pounds, plugged it, downloaded skype from the internet which was free in and off we went! I chat to my daughters in the UK regularly and its great!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks everyone! will take a look at your suggestions. its hard to know what to buy when i've never even used one before! Are the headsets good quality?
Belkin Desktop is good. It costs US $140 approximate. Don't know about Wi-Fi handset.

I suggest you check with some one in your area to see if the phone works with your ISP. Since here in India all ISP's block SIP phones, this is the only choice. If your ISP back home allow SIP phones, then you will have many options.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I've only used the Logitech ones and they are good quality.

As Jojo said I downloaded Skype (remember to set your privacy options to what suits you so that you don't get any dodgy calls or messages), plugged in the headset and called people :) Before I left the UK I set my parents up on Skype on the their computer (one that I gave them :) ) so that we can talk for free PC to PC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts