Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been here now for 9 months and settled really quickly, sorry can't be much help with the job thing as I had a job all lined up before I left the UK.....By the way which part of New Zealand are you from ....I spent two years in Dunedin!

Regards

Colin :cool:

If so, can you tell me what your experience was like and finding work and settling in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha i am too in Dunedin. I'm hoping to settle in quickly, I know of a few people but not too many, who work pretty big hours so will have to find alot of new friends myself. As for work will be going to temp agencies. That's awesome that you settled in quickly. Enjoying it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, very much so.....Finding it a bit warmer than Dunedin...Used to live out at company bay....$2 million dollar view but the climate not so good!!

Wish you lots of sucess with the job hunt.

Haha i am too in Dunedin. I'm hoping to settle in quickly, I know of a few people but not too many, who work pretty big hours so will have to find alot of new friends myself. As for work will be going to temp agencies. That's awesome that you settled in quickly. Enjoying it?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
9 months already Colin,

How on earth did that happen!!!??? Time has gone past so quickly.

Dolly

·
Registered
2 Posts
If so, can you tell me what your experience was like and finding work and settling in?

Hey, I moved out here 3 weeks ago, joined up with every agency around and got work after a week, a 3 month contract but gives me time to keep looking around and money in the meantime.

Lyn.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hello Lyn, How difficult was it to get your first break? What industry are you into?
I've read somewhere that the employers are particular about local experience but how do you gain that if you just immigrated. If its true then its a strange rule to have with a high immigrant population...
Are you able to do any negotiation or do the employers smell the desperation and take advantage of that???

Maverick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Lyn, I want to do the same with the agency thing - what kind of work are you doing?

Hey, I moved out here 3 weeks ago, joined up with every agency around and got work after a week, a 3 month contract but gives me time to keep looking around and money in the meantime.

Lyn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts