Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

Thanks for writing. I'm here for work, but do have every other weekend off which gives me some time to explore. Have a trip planned to Pondicherry as well as ones to Coimbatore and Kochi. I travel to Bangalore a lot for work.

My 15 words of Tamil seem to be getting me pretty far, the tuktuk drivers no longer throw out obscene amounts as their first offer. Also am getting fair prices at Pondy Bazaar. :)

I guess my question is what should I be doing with myself while I'm in town. Express Ave, Coffee Day, etc... have their limit. Any hidden gems to hang out at for a lazy Saturday afternoon?

Best,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for writing. I'm here for work, but do have every other weekend off which gives me some time to explore. Have a trip planned to Pondicherry as well as ones to Coimbatore and Kochi. I travel to Bangalore a lot for work.

My 15 words of Tamil seem to be getting me pretty far, the tuktuk drivers no longer throw out obscene amounts as their first offer. Also am getting fair prices at Pondy Bazaar. :)

I guess my question is what should I be doing with myself while I'm in town. Express Ave, Coffee Day, etc... have their limit. Any hidden gems to hang out at for a lazy Saturday afternoon?

Best,
Hey Rob, I am in Chennai as well. Just arrived from Toronto Canada and am here with another friend from Canada as well. Looking to make connections with people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Rob, I am in Chennai as well. Just arrived from Toronto Canada and am here with another friend from Canada as well. Looking to make connections with people.
Excellent, let's connect. I was just joking with the coworkers that it's been over a month since I have seen a fellow North American. I'm in the T. Nagar neighborhood, how about yourself?

Tea or whiskey?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rob, if you are goin to Tripur and Kochi you may as well plan a trip to Coorg (Kodagu). It is like the greenest place in India. Stay in madikeri and in an ecological lodge. Will remind you of the bush walking days back home.

Staying in the middle of a forest, which is safe as it is a tourist place now, you will enjoy the trek and the amazing views.

In Kerela, when in Kochi, do stay in Fort Kochin. Kochi is just like any other cosmo city, but fort kochi is where the heritage and culture is. I can give you a number, the local auto fella will take about 200 rupees and show you around the town and after that you can just go relax back at the resort.

i have been there several times, and last time i managed to even do some local fishing. Humans and their way of survival, you learn a lot in places with an ancient civilization. The fishign gear is pretty ancient too, and i mean it isnt any fishing gear, you gotta go there to see what i m talking about :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI rob..
Are you still in chennai? Where in the US are u from? A bunch of us are playing poker tomorrow.. JUst a friendly game..would u like to join us?
cheers
Hey Dan,

Still in Chennai. I am from Chicago originally, but lived in Miami for 5 years before moving here. Let me know what time; I am volunteering at the Maithree concert tomorrow but if the timing works I would definitely be in.

Best,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't suggest you guys much in Chennai, but just take a flight to Goa, or Kerala and am pretty sure you'll like the beaches of Goa and lagoons/natural beauty of kerala.

Better still, if you can take a week or 10 days off, hop on a flight to Leh/Ladakh/Lahaul Spiti in the north. I have done a fair bit of travelling across the world, trust me this is one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. Monasteries, lakes at 5000 meters+ and well, its pretty awesome. Can get extremely cold though, make sure you carry enough warm clothes !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts