Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering purchasing a house in Caporciano. Does anyone have any info on the town?

The house is on housearounditaly with house code ABANCO9190.

If anyone lives in this town or visits here, have you seen this house, any info about it would be great. I have contacted the Realtor and have received many photos of the inside of the house. I know I will have to go there to see it, but would like to know ahead if it is worth considering.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just visited village

Hi, I was actually in italy when you posted message. House around italy took me round Abruzzo, and showed me a property in Caporciano, what I saw I liked, I have put an offer in for a house (not the one you like) and just waiting now for completion. As far as I know, there is a bar, post office and church. There are daily deliveries of food, I have asked the surveyor if there is any other shop(ie newspapers etc.,) but yet to hear. I believe there is a good bus serice, and a supermarket not very far. This village is fairly quiet it seems, which will suit us. Let me know if you go there. The agents were fantastic and helpful, nothing too much trouble for them. I recommend at least 3 days for viewing, and have a look at other places if you like myself have never been there before. The house we looked at on the internet was fantastic, but unsuitable area for us. Jean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the info. I will be going there at the end of October. They have me looking at property twice a day for 4 days with a different scout each time.

If I put an offer on a house, how long does it take to get to completion? Did you notice a lot of earthquake damage or do they have the town cleaned up? Are you planning on living there or using it as a Holiday home, we will be using ours as a holiday home until we decide to move there permanently.

Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
completion times

Hi, thanks for the info. I will be going there at the end of October. They have me looking at property twice a day for 4 days with a different scout each time.

If I put an offer on a house, how long does it take to get to completion? Did you notice a lot of earthquake damage or do they have the town cleaned up? Are you planning on living there or using it as a Holiday home, we will be using ours as a holiday home until we decide to move there permanently.

Bill
Hello again, I believe it takes 4-6 weeks, much quicker if paying cash, it's 2 weeks since I viewed and had my offer accepted, busy packing up at this end, as we plan to retire there. originally, we thought about the holiday home idea for a while, but since we are not working now after taking early retirement, there is nothing to stop us. Did not see much of any earthquake damage, I did view a house that had been damaged, but had been put right. Cannot remember where though, I viewed so many houses, in different villages, it was overwhelming. One of the scouts is called maritzio, he lost his home in the Quake, he would know that area very well. Did not see any problems with carpocianio. I expect (if all goes well) to have moved in by the end of october/early november. My house looks sound, but I have arranged for a survey to be on the safe side. let me know how you get on, Jean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again, I believe it takes 4-6 weeks, much quicker if paying cash, it's 2 weeks since I viewed and had my offer accepted, busy packing up at this end, as we plan to retire there. originally, we thought about the holiday home idea for a while, but since we are not working now after taking early retirement, there is nothing to stop us. Did not see much of any earthquake damage, I did view a house that had been damaged, but had been put right. Cannot remember where though, I viewed so many houses, in different villages, it was overwhelming. One of the scouts is called maritzio, he lost his home in the Quake, he would know that area very well. Did not see any problems with carpocianio. I expect (if all goes well) to have moved in by the end of october/early november. My house looks sound, but I have arranged for a survey to be on the safe side. let me know how you get on, Jean.
Jean
One day (hopefully soon) I will be able to move there permanently. I tried to rent a house in Caporciano for the week I would be visiting, but the house was too close to earthquake damage and could not be rented. The owner has a man from England who watches his house, I guess he lives in Caporciano.
I got my viewing schedule from housearounditaly and it looks like I will be very busy for the week. Did you drive with the scouts or do you use your own car and meet them at appointments? If your there at the end of October I might see you when I'm in town. I'll let you know how it goes after I have been there.
Do you speak any Italian? I have just started learning.
Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Driving

Jean
One day (hopefully soon) I will be able to move there permanently. I tried to rent a house in Caporciano for the week I would be visiting, but the house was too close to earthquake damage and could not be rented. The owner has a man from England who watches his house, I guess he lives in Caporciano.
I got my viewing schedule from housearounditaly and it looks like I will be very busy for the week. Did you drive with the scouts or do you use your own car and meet them at appointments? If your there at the end of October I might see you when I'm in town. I'll let you know how it goes after I have been there.
Bill
Hi, I do not drive, so was taken all over for 25 euro's a day. I would advise letting them take you as they know the area, and so easy to get lost. would love to see you if I'm there, but may not be linked up to internet for a while as not sure yet how to go about it. I met an englishman called Jamie when viewing, It is probably him that is keeping an eye on the house! see, I feel I already live there. No news yet re completion, just cannot wait. Jean. (they will tell you if I have moved in if you mention my name. best wishes jean.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Speaking Italian

Jean
Bill
Hello again, forgot to comment on the language, have been learning, not fluent at all, but have picked up the basics, hope to continue to improve once there. My husband can only speak a few words. Are you coming to Italy on your own? or with family? Are you from Uk?, just had house surveyed, it all looks ok, hoping not too long now. We have a kitten and a dog, so having their pet passports done currently, that could take a month. Jean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again, forgot to comment on the language, have been learning, not fluent at all, but have picked up the basics, hope to continue to improve once there. My husband can only speak a few words. Are you coming to Italy on your own? or with family? Are you from Uk?, just had house surveyed, it all looks ok, hoping not too long now. We have a kitten and a dog, so having their pet passports done currently, that could take a month. Jean.
Hi Jean, We have been using Rosetta Stone for learning italian, it seems to be working pretty good. They say you can be fluent in 6 months, but I don't know about that. It will be my wife and I when we live there. I will be going alone at the end of October to look for a house. She will probably spend next summer there. I'm sure she will like to meet you then. We are from Florida. Just want to have a simpler life. Do you really need passports for your pets? -Bill.

·
Registered
223 Posts
pet passports

Hi Jean, We have been using Rosetta Stone for learning italian, it seems to be working pretty good. They say you can be fluent in 6 months, but I don't know about that. It will be my wife and I when we live there. I will be going alone at the end of October to look for a house. She will probably spend next summer there. I'm sure she will like to meet you then. We are from Florida. Just want to have a simpler life. Do you really need passports for your pets? -Bill.
Yes, afraid so, it's costing a lot of money! they have to be microchipped, (dog already had this done)then be up to date on usual annual injections, plus rabies, followed by blood tests and I think another rabies injection!! I am using a cd set (bbc active) it's quite good, but too busy to concentrate on it at the momment due to sorting out this house, selling stuff, packing, giving stuff away etc., I want to be ready when we complete. The person who owns the house next to ours in caporciano, is american, she lives in rome, but uses the house as a holiday home so I am told. have not met her yet. I think it's a great idea to meet up with your wife, it will help both of us to settle in. Jean.

·
Registered
223 Posts
pet passports/2

Yes, afraid so, it's costing a lot of money! they have to be microchipped, (dog already had this done)then be up to date on usual annual injections, plus rabies, followed by blood tests and I think another rabies injection!! I am using a cd set (bbc active) it's quite good, but too busy to concentrate on it at the momment due to sorting out this house, selling stuff, packing, giving stuff away etc., I want to be ready when we complete. The person who owns the house next to ours in caporciano, is american, she lives in rome, but uses the house as a holiday home so I am told. have not met her yet. I think it's a great idea to meet up with your wife, it will help both of us to settle in. Jean.
Sorry, will not be at house when you visit. Told by vet yesterday that I am looking at nearer the 3rd week in November before we can take pets. Jean

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, will not be at house when you visit. Told by vet yesterday that I am looking at nearer the 3rd week in November before we can take pets. Jean
Hi Jean,
That's OK, I thought the end of Oct for you was kind of quick. I am also not looking forward to packing and deciding what to take and what to sell, but that is not for some time now. I now have an Italy phone # and all my reservations for hotels, planes, and rental cars are made. So now I am just putting my free time into learning Italian. Can't wait to see the town! Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
It all sounds very exciting, I can't wait to move to Italy myself. I love reading how everyone is going with their moves and settling in. My family and I will hopefully be doing all of that this time next year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
hoping to complete soon

Hi Jean,
That's OK, I thought the end of Oct for you was kind of quick. I am also not looking forward to packing and deciding what to take and what to sell, but that is not for some time now. I now have an Italy phone # and all my reservations for hotels, planes, and rental cars are made. So now I am just putting my free time into learning Italian. Can't wait to see the town! Bill
Hello Bill, how are you getting on with learning italian? I have not done anything like that for weeks, been too busy! Looks like I will be in Pescara around the end of the month for the final act, just waiting for the word from the agency. Jean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Bill, how are you getting on with learning italian? I have not done anything like that for weeks, been too busy! Looks like I will be in Pescara around the end of the month for the final act, just waiting for the word from the agency. Jean.
Hi Jean,
Doing OK with the italian, for the 3 to 4 weeks I have been using the program, I think I have learned quite a lot. I think we will learn the language a lot faster when we are there. That would be great if you were there at the end of the month, I should be in Caporciano on Monday the 26th. So do you have to be there for the final act or is it something you could do through the mail? Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Final act

Hi Jean,
Doing OK with the italian, for the 3 to 4 weeks I have been using the program, I think I have learned quite a lot. I think we will learn the language a lot faster when we are there. That would be great if you were there at the end of the month, I should be in Caporciano on Monday the 26th. So do you have to be there for the final act or is it something you could do through the mail? Bill
Hi Bill, they expect you to be there, alsong with the vendors. The notary is a highly respected person to the Italians, and I'm told that punctuality is a must! The date of my 'final act has been set for the 30th, but having a real problem getting flights to Pescara to fit in with my plans. I'm up early to see if I can get a cancellation, or it looks like it will have to be the first week in November. Enjoy househunting, I really enjoyed that bit, I felt like I was on one of these house in the sun Programmes on tv. Keep me up to date! Jean

·
Registered
223 Posts
final act

Hi Bill, they expect you to be there, alsong with the vendors. The notary is a highly respected person to the Italians, and I'm told that punctuality is a must! The date of my 'final act has been set for the 30th, but having a real problem getting flights to Pescara to fit in with my plans. I'm up early to see if I can get a cancellation, or it looks like it will have to be the first week in November. Enjoy househunting, I really enjoyed that bit, I felt like I was on one of these house in the sun Programmes on tv. Keep me up to date! Jean
Just managed to get a flight on the 30th, will make the bank and the final act by the skin of my teeth (fingers crossed!) Will you be in italy then?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It all sounds very exciting, I can't wait to move to Italy myself. I love reading how everyone is going with their moves and settling in. My family and I will hopefully be doing all of that this time next year.
Hi Maleena,

What area is your family moving to?
Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just managed to get a flight on the 30th, will make the bank and the final act by the skin of my teeth (fingers crossed!) Will you be in italy then?
Hi Jean,

I bet you can't wait to get there! I will be there on the 30th, but it is also the day I have to drive back to Rome. I don't know how much time I will have in that area before I leave. It sounds like I will be coming back anyway for the final act, probably around the beginning of December.
Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Jean,

I bet you can't wait to get there! I will be there on the 30th, but it is also the day I have to drive back to Rome. I don't know how much time I will have in that area before I leave. It sounds like I will be coming back anyway for the final act, probably around the beginning of December.
Bill
December is not very far away, have you made plans to buy that house that you liked in Caporciano? or will you be still looking when you go to Italy. My flight arrives in Pescara about 12noon, and final act will be at 4p.m. Somewhere in between then will have to go with Walter (financial advisor) to get money out of my italian bank account. Have you done that already & got your tax code? Walter helped sort that out also, last time I was there. maybe we will be neighbours soon! Jean

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
December is not very far away, have you made plans to buy that house that you liked in Caporciano? or will you be still looking when you go to Italy. My flight arrives in Pescara about 12noon, and final act will be at 4p.m. Somewhere in between then will have to go with Walter (financial advisor) to get money out of my italian bank account. Have you done that already & got your tax code? Walter helped sort that out also, last time I was there. maybe we will be neighbours soon! Jean
Jean, It looks like we will just miss each other this time. I will have to leave Pescara before noon to make it back to Rome. I have not made plans to buy the house yet, just thinking ahead. I do have an appointment with Walter to get a tax code and bank account. You have not told me about your house yet, is it habitable or do you need to renovate?
Ciao! Bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts