Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody !!

Im Kevin, 22 years old french guy.
Im landing in Sydney in february 2010, and I would like to rent or buy a car/van in the aim to travel from sydney to the north of australia (as far as possible before the expiry of my WHV).
Im planning to do some fruit picking, so I can travel from one farm to the other, and carry on discovering australia.
The only problem is... Im alone ! So I post this message to know if anyone would be interested in coming with me.
I haven't got any (guideline?) yet, so every proposition is welcome !!
You can send me a visitor message or answer on the forum.

hope to see you soon !
kevin

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Kevin

welcome to the forum. cant help u much with road trip company. try google for australia road trip, u never know if u hit something. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Having done a year travelling Oz, my advice would be to do this.

Buy a Lonely Planet guide to Australia.

This is your bible (im sure some Australians will say 'you don't see rural Australia', however, we found it invaluable). As you say you want to travel via bus/van, my advice would be this; do it if you know how to fix mechanical things. If not, stick to other forms of transport (don't forget, if you hit something - a roo- it will cause major damage, if you break down in the middle of nowhere you won't have the AA 30mins down the round to come get you).
Lots of people do the 'east coast run', ie, get on at Cairns and end up in Sydney or vice versa (ok, there are slight variables but in essence, that is the run). People have different time scales as to when they will move on (via the Oz Experience bus for example)As long as you are an amicable guy :D, you will not fail to meet people who's agenda is simialr to yours, or, even more open, ie they don't have any agenda and happy to do whatever!!! Buses (Greyhounds), flights (do they still do the Virgin Blue lunchtime special deal??) are your best bet. Places to DEFINITELY go to are;
Darwin - Kakadu Park
Ayres Rock/Uluru (enusre you get to Kings Canyon as part of this)
Fitzroy Island
Whitsundays

There are loads more places to go to, these were just a few of my favourites and sure other people will jump on board and give there favourites. I never went to WA/Perth so can't comment, but have been told its a wonderful place and has the west coast shoreline which is far more unspolit by man than the East.

Like I said, you'll meet loads of people on the way, just sign up to the group ventures and you'll be laughing!!!

Bear

PS, when i was there, if you did 3months fruit picking, they would give you an extra years WHV so might be worth checking/taking that into account

PPS, when i say 'sign up to the group ventures', i don't mean buy a package tour that you have to be in one place for 2 days, then get the bus, another place for 2 days, then get the bus, etc. you can always find someway of getting from A to B, be it local transport or.....just make sure, when you get to a place, you know how to get out of there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK,
thanks for the advices... I already bought the Lonely Planet, so I guess its a good start !
thanks for your quick answer Kingbear !
Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts