Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning my retirement for a few years and now I'm on the cusp, still up in the air between Spain and Mexico. Even so, after several decades of interest in the Spanish language and cultures, I went ahead and submitted a funding request to some large research universities. Damn, that was work! Anyway, I'm gobsmacked because I was admitted to a funded doctoral program including teaching duties for undergrad Spanish. So I now know how I shall enter retirement, which is fine with me, because I want to bear witness to some cultural issues I see in the Spanish speaking world. Nevertheless, I am continually impressed by the level of knowledge in the fora. Anyone else dedicating time to study or cultural interests? After working full time, going to school full time, and raising a family, dedicating myself to my academic interests feels like freedom. Now if I can just get my field work funded.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Much depends on where you pitch "academic interest". Studying the history of the Iberian peninsula, for no other reason than to know about the place I now call home is, I guess, an academic interest as is learning Spanish so that communications with my neighbours are facilitated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts