Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I married a US citizen three years ago in the US (where I "live" - I say "live" because I overstayed my student visa and we have never done the paperwork for US residency for a variety of reasons).

I'm thinking of returning to the UK but it seems like there are too many obstacles and I wonder if anyone else has any advice if they've overcome them.

Has anyone else returned when they have no money and no one left that they know in the UK? I haven't worked in 10 years due to not wanting to work illegally in the US, although I can do just about anything. There are no kids, but I do have a little dog that I've had for eight years.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
There have been several threads by people who have returned to the UK with no or little money.

They have been given advice as to what services they could apply for, organizations that could help them, unfortunately few have given feedback as to how they coped.

You unfortunately have additional problems in that you have lived illegally in the US for several years. Unless you sort out your immigration issues, upon leaving the US you will incur an automatic ban of 10 years and not be able to return.

Also, since you have not worked for 10 years, and have no resources you have no way of sponsoring your (presumably) US husband to move to the UK with you.

I would propose that you seek a lawyer to legalise your stay in the US - being married to a US citizen is a plus point as this can (usually) allow you to apply for Adjustment of Status to a legal resident.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. Legalising the stay over here isn't an option anymore as far as I can see after three years of researching all the options. I don't really care about never seeing the US again, I can't stand it here. I'm in California and it's really expensive.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It's kind of funny how you don't mind being in the US illegally but you don't actually want to work illegally.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not "illegal" as I came here documented. The last thing I want to do is end up in a detainment centre and put on the next plane home. Just trying to get some advice on going back to the UK, not looking to be berated for something that is beyond my control in the states.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I'm not "illegal" as I came here documented. The last thing I want to do is end up in a detainment centre and put on the next plane home. Just trying to get some advice on going back to the UK, not looking to be berated for something that is beyond my control in the states.
As said...... marrying a US citizen does give you the option of AOS - you need legal advice.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm not "illegal" as I came here documented.

The moment that you overstayed your visa you were there illegally.

Just trying to get some advice on going back to the UK, not looking to be berated for something that is beyond my control in the states.

It isn't beyond your control. In fact, it was/is entirely within your control. You could have applied to be there legally when your visa expired or you could apply to have your status adjusted. You didn't bother doing the first and appear to be refusing to do the second.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't refused to do either, it turns out that my husband is unable to be my sponsor because of something that I'm not going to go into on here. If he can't be my sponsor then there is no way I can adjust my status in the US.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
I think we are going round in circles. OP needs expert legal advice about the best course of action, in view of having a US spouse. I'm closing this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.