Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just back from 2nd trip to France, signed the initial paperwork on a house just outside Glandon, between Payzac and St Yriex La Peche, looking to move over, everything going as planned around Easter time. we have a six year old son, we have looked at several schools and so far are happy with the one at Glandon. Any other suggestions?

We will be getting private French lessons for our son before we go, just enough for him to be comfortable in the classroom and playground, we don't want him to end up with an overly English accent and the teacher in the school seemed very supportive and confident he will pick it up once he starts school quite quickly.

I am just looking for any advice/local information/contacts that we might be able to use once we finally arrive to help further with immersion and establishing links with local community.

Any info about organisations such as 'Beavers' or after school activities, in England he does drama club, gymnastics and swimming at the moment, would be greatly appreciated, also we were hoping to maybe find a holiday club or summer camp so that over the summer break he can really work on his French.

The sale should be (and I say this very cautiously) be complete by end of January and we are hoping to spend the February half term over there and maybe a few long week ends before we get to complete full move in April/May.

Feel a bit like we are in a chicken and egg/horse and cart situation, it might all fall through yet, but I am working on the principle that information is power, and certainly can't do amy harm>

Thanks in anticiaption,

Jacqui.:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not too far from you ourselves. We dont have children but there are several groups in the area that will help you settle in. There is a local newspaper distributed free with lots of info. We are intending to move out next year permanently, it is a beautiful area lots to see and do.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,292 Posts
...just outside Glandon, between Payzac and St Yriex La Peche...
We live fairly close to Sarlat, just to the south of you. By the way, I think you mean St. Yriex La Perche.

I am just looking for any advice/local information/contacts that we might be able to use once we finally arrive to help further with immersion and establishing links with local community.
The best advice I can give you is: Meet and become friends with your neighbors. It will improve your French faster than you can imagine, you'll learn about your community (where to shop, reliable tradespeople, who to talk to at the Mairie, etc.), their children will play with your son, and you'll have friends.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.