Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a positive RPL Assessment by ACS for 9 years as ICT BA. However, they have not commented about my non-ICT Qualification, which is understandable. I am an MBA (Post-Grad.).
I have already applied for 175. I wanted to know whether DIAC will automatically award me 15 points (for Qualification) based on my non-ICT Graduation/ Post-Graduation certificates.
Would be grateful if someone with a similar profile shares his/her inputs on this.

Reactions: WayneWu411

·
Registered
10 Posts
bangalg said:
I have a positive RPL Assessment by ACS for 9 years as ICT BA. However, they have not commented about my non-ICT Qualification, which is understandable. I am an MBA (Post-Grad.).
I have already applied for 175. I wanted to know whether DIAC will automatically award me 15 points (for Qualification) based on my non-ICT Graduation/ Post-Graduation certificates.
Would be grateful if someone with a similar profile shares his/her inputs on this.
I believe you will have to get your highest educational qualification evaluated by vetassess to claim points for educational qualification, this is mentioned in the PDF on DIAC site published for the points test changes implemented post 1st July 2011.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goswami_sm said:
I believe you will have to get your highest educational qualification evaluated by vetassess to claim points for educational qualification, this is mentioned in the PDF on DIAC site published for the points test changes implemented post 1st July 2011.
I don't think so. vetassess evaluates the qualification along with your experience. Both the qual. and experience are assessed only with respect to a nominated occupation. They don't simply assess only educational qual if it is unrelated to your nominated occupation as in my case.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
24 Posts

I applied under ICT category and I have my qualification in Non ICT field. ACS had mentioned that my bachelors is equivalent to AQF Diploma in Computer Science.

In your case, the education qualification marks that you will get will be on discretion of DIAC.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Pawinder,
Thanks for the response. May I ask what exactly was your basic qualification?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Bangalg;

By this do you mean to say that if one has a non-ICT degree say a grad/PG in commerce & I receive ACS assesment via RPL. Then for the degree he / she wouldn't get the 15 points when DIAC considers that person'e visa application?

I don't think so. vetassess evaluates the qualification along with your experience. Both the qual. and experience are assessed only with respect to a nominated occupation. They don't simply assess only educational qual if it is unrelated to your nominated occupation as in my case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Pawinder,
Thanks for the response. May I ask what exactly was your basic qualification?
I have done B.E. in production engineering.

Even though your qualification is not assessed by DIAC, you will still get points for it. The exact points you get, will be on DIAC discretion.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I'm also keen to find out if DIAC will award me 15 points for Qualification too. I have a Bachelor of Electronics and Communications Engineering from Curtin University of Technology, Perth and applying for Developer Programmer as I have more than 8 years in this field. I am pretty confused because a friend of mine says that my degree is irrelevant (non-ICT) and won't get me points unless I get assessed by VETASSESS to get the 15 points for my qualification. The unfortunate thing is VETASSESS has closed all applications till 1 July 2012.

I will be submitting to ACS by 10th April as I am awaiting all my employer references to be ready. Am keeping fingers crossed that ACS is the only assessment body I need to apply to. ACS is still accepting applications and guaranteeing a reply before July if submitted before April 27 so I still have time.

From what I gather so far in this thread, is it right to say that only DIAC will assess whether your degree is relevant and decide what points you get while ACS assesses whether your nominated occupation is relevant decide how much points to get for work experience?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm also keen to find out if DIAC will award me 15 points for Qualification too. I have a Bachelor of Electronics and Communications Engineering from Curtin University of Technology, Perth and applying for Developer Programmer as I have more than 8 years in this field. I am pretty confused because a friend of mine says that my degree is irrelevant (non-ICT) and won't get me points unless I get assessed by VETASSESS to get the 15 points for my qualification. The unfortunate thing is VETASSESS has closed all applications till 1 July 2012.

I will be submitting to ACS by 10th April as I am awaiting all my employer references to be ready. Am keeping fingers crossed that ACS is the only assessment body I need to apply to. ACS is still accepting applications and guaranteeing a reply before July if submitted before April 27 so I still have time.

From what I gather so far in this thread, is it right to say that only DIAC will assess whether your degree is relevant and decide what points you get while ACS assesses whether your nominated occupation is relevant decide how much points to get for work experience?

I am a B.E in ECE and I got my degree accepted by DIAC without any issues. Your friend is giving wrong information.

In my ACS letter, they recognized all my work experience in every company and mentioned that my degree is equivalent to Aus BE degree.

So, I think you will not have any issues.

BTW, I have a question. My friend is a M.Sc in Computer Science. He needs to go thro RPL or normal route? He has more than 8 year of exp in IT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks dreamaus for your reply. It is quite reassuring. Btw may I also confirm that your nominated work falls under software and applications programmers?

I won't be able to provide opinion on your question as I am pretty new with this. I guess your question is posed to the more experienced & knowledgable members in this forum.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks dreamaus for your reply. It is quite reassuring. Btw may I also confirm that your nominated work falls under software and applications programmers?

I won't be able to provide opinion on your question as I am pretty new with this. I guess your question is posed to the more experienced & knowledgable members in this forum.
oh that question is for other members.

my nominated occ is Computer Networks and Systems Engineer which falls under ICT jobs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dreamaus said:
I am a B.E in ECE and I got my degree accepted by DIAC without any issues. Your friend is giving wrong information.

In my ACS letter, they recognized all my work experience in every company and mentioned that my degree is equivalent to Aus BE degree.

So, I think you will not have any issues.

BTW, I have a question. My friend is a M.Sc in Computer Science. He needs to go thro RPL or normal route? He has more than 8 year of exp in IT
Hi dreamaus,
The difference between my RPL assessment and the one you got is that yours clearly stated that the degree is equivalent to Aus BE degree. In my case, nothing has been mentioned about my degree because it is completely non-technical.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys,
I got to know from an Indian who migrated to Australia with a BSc (microbiology) degree as an ICT professional. DIAC gave him full "qualification" points as a Bachelor. For ACS assessment, he went through the RPL route just like many of us. In short, nothing to worry if you have a Regular Bachelor degree from India. You will get your 15 points for Qualifications.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey did this friend apply for the PR after July 2010. I was speaking to a agent last week he is giving me a different idea.

Hi guys,
I got to know from an Indian who migrated to Australia with a BSc (microbiology) degree as an ICT professional. DIAC gave him full "qualification" points as a Bachelor. For ACS assessment, he went through the RPL route just like many of us. In short, nothing to worry if you have a Regular Bachelor degree from India. You will get your 15 points for Qualifications.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sstar said:
Hey did this friend apply for the PR after July 2010. I was speaking to a agent last week he is giving me a different idea.
No. This was 10 yrs.back. Have things changed now? That would be surprising. Pl let me know what your agent sai.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Bangalg;

I'm not sure whether things have changed. Let me declare something before I detail what the agent told. Look I'm myself from Andhra JNTU, Hyderabad. The agent is also from Andhra.

The agent told me there was a scandal in Australia immigration involving Andhra & north east India about illegal university certificates. Hence DIAC is quite sceptical about Indian degree's particularly from un-heard of ones particularly from Andhra & north east. Hence the agent advised me to go to vetassess for the points test. But from the time I prepared for that they closed the channel till july 12.

No. This was 10 yrs.back. Have things changed now? That would be surprising. Pl let me know what your agent sai.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Bangalg,
I am in same situation as you were earlier. I.e. I got positive RPL assessment by ACS but in the ACS result they have not mentioned about Non IT degree/degree. I was allocated a CO and CO raised concern that ACS has not mentioned about the degree. Now, what to do for claiming 15 points for qualification?
I see in your signature that you have already got grant. Wanted to know what were the step was you have taken. You help is much appreciated.

Thanks
DSA

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DSA said:
Hi Bangalg,
I am in same situation as you were earlier. I.e. I got positive RPL assessment by ACS but in the ACS result they have not mentioned about Non IT degree/degree. I was allocated a CO and CO raised concern that ACS has not mentioned about the degree. Now, what to do for claiming 15 points for qualification?
I see in your signature that you have already got grant. Wanted to know what were the step was you have taken. You help is much appreciated.

Thanks
DSA
Don't worry. You will get your 15 points if you are a Graduate from India-even if the degree is non-IT.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't worry. You will get your 15 points if you are a Graduate from India-even if the degree is non-IT.

Thanks :) for positive words. Do I need to do anything? Or CO will automaticaly consider the degree points. As CO highlighted that ACS should mention about degree in the assesment result.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DSA said:
Thanks :) for positive words. Do I need to do anything? Or CO will automaticaly consider the degree points. As CO highlighted that ACS should mention about degree in the assesment result.
It is automatic. I am assuming you have a regular college degree from an Indian University.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts